Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

The number of miles travelled and the time taken to cross aren’t necessarily a good measure of comparative cost. and anyone who flies domestically or short haul in Europe on budget airlines will know that distance doesn’t dictate fares.

Harbour charges and passenger taxes aren’t calculated using those measures and are fixed. 

larger boats with more passengers carry more passengers per tonne of fuel than smaller ones

crewing costs aren’t related to distance either. Nor are they directly related to passenger numbers.

Whats actually important is the cost of getting from A to B.

45 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m sure you could do the math.

I probably can John, but we're trying to compare apples and oranges, there's a huge amount of variables and economies of scale to be taken into account, it's not fair just to make a direct comparison on fare prices?

10 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I probably can John, but we're trying to compare apples and oranges, there's a huge amount of variables and economies of scale to be taken into account, it's not fair just to make a direct comparison on fare prices?

Never claimed it was fair. It’s but one measure. Not sure that cost per mile is fair, either, it’s crude. I’ve posted above some of the variables, but I’ve left out the actual capital cost of providing the service, buying the tonnage, office and booking costs, which can vary greatly if you operate all new tonnage or 30 year old, bought in, second hand tonnage. Neither have I factored in demand or volume or season.

But the harsh reality, for those of us living on an island, is that it’s the actual cost of getting off, and back on, that’s the real factor and that is where it hits our pockets.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, John Wright said:

But the harsh reality, for those of us living on an island, is that it’s the actual cost of getting off, and back on, that’s the real factor and that is where it hits our pockets.

Agreed, but here's the rub... Government were content for years to watch the SPCO make huge profits and suppress a report into the way it made those huge profits ! My axe to grind is the shortsightedness of the costs of the populace getting on and off and the cost of visitors and freight ! The freight costs affect every aspect of our life here, and make a 'hostile' environment in which on island business operates. Government has painted itself into a corner financially, where despite its purchase of the Packet it cannot really use the service in a way beneficial to the islands vibrancy and visitor economy as it so badly needs the profit ! coupled of course with needing new hardware to boot!

People can bang on about how reasonable the service is, but the reality is, for an awful lot of people to get on and off with a family as often as they would perhaps like is just not affordable and the price jacking around island events particularly TT is a joke !  

Sadly Government are not able to do like Scotland and really put the island on the map !

36 minutes ago, asitis said:

Agreed, but here's the rub... Government were content for years to watch the SPCO make huge profits and suppress a report into the way it made those huge profits ! My axe to grind is the shortsightedness of the costs of the populace getting on and off and the cost of visitors and freight ! The freight costs affect every aspect of our life here, and make a 'hostile' environment in which on island business operates. Government has painted itself into a corner financially, where despite its purchase of the Packet it cannot really use the service in a way beneficial to the islands vibrancy and visitor economy as it so badly needs the profit ! coupled of course with needing new hardware to boot!

People can bang on about how reasonable the service is, but the reality is, for an awful lot of people to get on and off with a family as often as they would perhaps like is just not affordable and the price jacking around island events particularly TT is a joke !  

Sadly Government are not able to do like Scotland and really put the island on the map !

So how would you suggest financing two brand new ferries for £120m+? 

2 hours ago, asitis said:

Agreed, but here's the rub... Government were content for years to watch the SPCO make huge profits and suppress a report into the way it made those huge profits!

Hmmmm. Well, with the Packet now being in Govt ownership there can surely now be no reason why said (doubtless expensive) report can't be released into the realms of those who ultimately paid for it, i.e. US.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

We should at least get the chance to name these ferries. I go for the ss stealth tax and the ss gravy train.

Or something authoritative and imperious.

How about MV Pensions Upholder or MV Superannuation Guardian?

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Haha 1