Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

Finished with the forums. I hate bullies.

After 8 posts? Blimey. Good thing you weren't around in 1939.

Yes the forum was awful back then. Everyone moaning about the govt, foreigners, TT etc. Though the ferry service was more frequent and reliable. And there were more flights.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 2

To be fair, the captain did keep people informed in as far as he could. His final update, promised for 11.30, was a few minutes late, but the slight delay may have been caused by having to consult with Head Office - kicking 800 people off a ferry at that time of night is not something that they do on a regular basis (thank goodness).

The crew were great while we sat on board and waited. It was just as bad for them, as they wanted to finish their shift and get home. No-one has said where they slept - on the floor on board?

Had we been able to sail at 11.30, we would have been happy that we were going home, and we would have accepted the delay.

The problems seemed to arise once everyone got off. We were in a car, and no-one told us where we should go before we drove down the ramp. We asked a member of the shore crew (who had seemed intent on getting out of range) and were told to go to Heysham. There was no further information. When we got to Heysham, we found out that the 2.15 sailing was being delayed to give people time to get there. We would have appreciated that knowledge before we set off.

At Heysham, there was an extra person helping with the check-in, to get people through quickly.

The real problem appears to be the reliance of the company on fast craft, which always seem to be breaking down.

• Like 4

"Don't let the bastards grind you down" . I got a slagging when I first posted from a couple of pathetic inadequate folk whose contributions to the forum amount normally to two thirds of BA.

I hate people who are so intellectually challenged they miss the free accommodation which hundreds of other people seemed to find without issue, get confused by the concept of having to look after themselves in a bustling western city and try to make themselves sound hard done by because they had to walk the 30 yards from the boat to the crowne plaza to get a room, which they didn't need to do anyway because the steam packet was organising accommodation.

You won't be much of a loss to the forum

I hate nasty intellectually challenged little sh*ts like you but my guess is that "Yo is the Steam Packets bitch".

I would venture to suggest that it wold be no loss to the forum if you ceased to post.

'Atrocious' behaviour by minority claims Packet

by Manx Radio

The Steam Packet Company claims unruly passengers on Monday’s cancelled sailing abused and assaulted crew as well as damaging the terminal in Liverpool.

Chief Executive Mark Woodward says fixtures and fittings in the toilets and main departure lounge at the Pier Head were damaged by what he calls an ‘unruly minority’ of travellers.

The claims come after passengers arriving in Douglas yesterday told Manx Radio they were upset at spending four hours aboard the Manannan before the sailing was cancelled because of technical problems.

Mr Woodward, however, says a total of nine announcements were made before the decision was taken to call off the sailing and people were kept informed via text messages and social media.

In a statement, the Steam Packet says its staff faced threatening behaviour and were physically assaulted by some angry passengers.

Merseyside Police, however, say no arrests were made as its officers helped find accommodation in the early hours of Monday morning after the sailing had to be cancelled.

Mr Woodward confirmed more than 150 hotel rooms were provided for those affected, while 85 vehicles were transferred to another sailing.

He says some people had to stay in a communal conference room at a nearby hotel, which he admits wasn’t ideal.

But he also praised the helpfulness of staff, who he says were facing extremely difficult circumstances.

To be fair, the captain did keep people informed in as far as he could. His final update, promised for 11.30, was a few minutes late, but the slight delay may have been caused by having to consult with Head Office - kicking 800 people off a ferry at that time of night is not something that they do on a regular basis (thank goodness).

The crew were great while we sat on board and waited. It was just as bad for them, as they wanted to finish their shift and get home. No-one has said where they slept - on the floor on board?

Had we been able to sail at 11.30, we would have been happy that we were going home, and we would have accepted the delay.

The problems seemed to arise once everyone got off. We were in a car, and no-one told us where we should go before we drove down the ramp. We asked a member of the shore crew (who had seemed intent on getting out of range) and were told to go to Heysham. There was no further information. When we got to Heysham, we found out that the 2.15 sailing was being delayed to give people time to get there. We would have appreciated that knowledge before we set off.

At Heysham, there was an extra person helping with the check-in, to get people through quickly.

The real problem appears to be the reliance of the company on fast craft, which always seem to be breaking down.

I was on the Mannanan also and totally agree with everything in this post. It's spot on!

After 8 posts? Blimey. Good thing you weren't around in 1939.

Ah, the old ManxFührerForums back then. The Polish section was often a blast (especially early in the morning), but the French News section was always a bit of a let down, with most posters surrendering their opinions almost immediately.

As for the Racket: it's a shit vessel. They know that. User agreement calls for fast craft, and while they could probably get a conventional boat that does good speed (more than the under-powered Ben at least), it seems none ever came up for sale or they weren't willing to spend the money on it. As such: tough titties, but I can understand if some passengers get pissy.

Seems they all gotten weak these days. when I were a lad and worked on the Lady of Mann, we had proper crews, Survived two Irish Weekends, with various fights, plenty of property damage and carnage all round. We called that 'fun'.

• Like 1

I hate people who are so intellectually challenged they miss the free accommodation which hundreds of other people seemed to find without issue, get confused by the concept of having to look after themselves in a bustling western city and try to make themselves sound hard done by because they had to walk the 30 yards from the boat to the crowne plaza to get a room, which they didn't need to do anyway because the steam packet was organising accommodation.

I hate nasty intellectually challenged little sh*ts like you but my guess is that "Yo is the Steam Packets bitch".

I would venture to suggest that it wold be no loss to the forum if you ceased to post.

Yeah, I've got a new job. I can now add 'being the steam packet' to the the newspapers, manx radio, the police and the civil service - brilliant!

• Like 2

http://youtu.be/_Uez5JVQyoA

Edited by The Sick Moon

SPC calls police on passengers

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/spc-calls-police-as-tempers-flare-1-6810151

No, dear Racket, it's not the passengers fault. It's your unreliable boat and presumably chaotic handling of the situation that causes people to lose their temper. Whatever happened to the crew training on PSSR? Although I can understand if shore crew called the cops. If you're on such low pay, you're not gonna stick your neck out for stuff like this.