Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

The ship headed south just long enough to get a couple of big waves right over the front, then turned to get the wind behind her.

It was just a bit lively early on, and a few loose things moved about ;-)

Nice video.

(The old passengers did sail!  And enjoyed their snack!)

9 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

When I was watching the video I thought....... get to the canteen and get a fatty bacon butty! Works every time for me.

Yeah me too...I’m spewing like a dog after only 5 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Wonder if IoM and Steam Packet will follow suit?

Condor, Jersey and Guernsey have kicked passengers off the Commodore ( Ben sister ship ) for a month so it can be used for freight only. Passengers on fast craft only.

So passengers on Manannan only? 

Or does the freight only Arrow make a difference?

https://www.itv.com/news/channel/2020-03-13/commodore-clipper-will-not-to-carry-passengers-for-the-next-month-due-to-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR2ZK1NMdI_dn1jDPZFWrol65e3z97-fX4PgdzC8kv9jdS2RFJoamaVr0sE

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, woolley said:

Are we short of freight capacity on the Ben? I thought there was plenty of slack over all of the sailings.

Read the article.

It’s not freight  metre shortage it’s to separate freight and passengers. Presumably to limit entry times for checking.

Seatruck are no longer carrying freight drivers on their sailings out of Heysham

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit confused by this

https://www.steam-packet.com/information/news/2020/Apr/PR914_Lifeline_services_to_be_maintained

The Ben was due to go into to dry dock for a couple of weeks, as is usual, that's been understandably postponed, but they're pulling it for a couple of weeks anyway. Says something about the staff following government guidelines, is it to give them 2 weeks of isolated shore leave?

41 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'm a bit confused by this

https://www.steam-packet.com/information/news/2020/Apr/PR914_Lifeline_services_to_be_maintained

The Ben was due to go into to dry dock for a couple of weeks, as is usual, that's been understandably postponed, but they're pulling it for a couple of weeks anyway. Says something about the staff following government guidelines, is it to give them 2 weeks of isolated shore leave?

Do you think it might be that the Ben will still sail, but not to a published timetable, doing the repatriation sailings, ensuring isolation/quarantine. Allowing deep clean between each sailing? It’s the only one with cabins. 

Effectively Ben on charter to IoMG?

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Do you think it might be that the Ben will still sail, but not to a published timetable, doing the repatriation sailings, ensuring isolation/quarantine. Allowing deep clean between each sailing? It’s the only one with cabins. 

Effectively Ben on charter to IoMG?

I don't know, but I was wondering about the cabins thing. The repatriation thing said that passengers would be in cabins. But I also got the impression they were only bringing people back on one sailing per week.

One might think it a good idea for the government to charter another vessel for freight, just in case 2/3 of the others go out of commission (or at least buy up a couple of days a week of spare shipping capacity from e.g. Scotland/NI)?

Double breakdown/non-availability has happened before. Of course it's an expensive option, but the last thing we need is chaos in supplies and the associated panic buying that would likely ensue. Life's shit enough as things stand. And history shows that things often go wrong at the Steam Racket whenever people least expect it.

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't know, but I was wondering about the cabins thing. The repatriation thing said that passengers would be in cabins. But I also got the impression they were only bringing people back on one sailing per week.

That was when they thought there were thought to be approx 200. Now it’s over 400. Not sure of capacity of Comis. But many will be couples. Actually may make sense to fill ASAP.

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

That was when they thought there were thought to be approx 200. Now it’s over 400. Not sure of capacity of Comis. But many will be couples. Actually may make sense to fill ASAP.

I agree it would make sense to get them back quicker, think I read somewhere that it was expected to take 8 weeks(!) to get them back which is crazy. You could well be right, but if you are why would they not just state that instead of that slightly weird press release?