Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

11 hours ago, finlo said:

When we're taking on massive debt just to pay the wage bill?

Putting up taxes is one thing but it’s clear now all of this is dragging on that even if they do put taxes up there will be a lot less people with incomes to be paying them. It also looks like they will have at least two quarters of minimal VAT turnover now. People are only spending on essentials which are largely not VAT rated. No cars sold, no clothes bought, no luxury goods purchases, no cafes and restaurants open. The IOM is going to see a huge dip in VAT receipts too as well as a significant drop in direct taxation. 

Edited by Southfork
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

In relation to the Steam Packet I'm certainly pleased the government bought it.  I was happy enough at the time.  In hindsight I'm very much pleased they did it.

There's a good hypothetical question, though: if the Manx Government had waited till now, could they have got it a lot cheaper?

(Obviously the unlikeliness of the idea of the Manx government ever wanting to spend less on anything is one reason why it's hypothetical).

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I doubt they could have really.

To be fair, there were some clueless people on here who actually thought it was possible to wait until 2026 and suddenly magic up a fully operational life line ferry company for free.

For the cost of new boats only, the keels of which would already have been laid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

There's a good hypothetical question, though: if the Manx Government had waited till now, could they have got it a lot cheaper?

There will be plenty of airlines going on the cheap that’s for sure. But it’s a bit rich to suggest that IOMG should have waited for a one off global disaster event to buy a shipping line on the cheap. Not least because they would have had to have known a once in a generation pandemic disaster was going to happen to start with which is, of course, impossible. 

• Like 1

Why does this quote from the IOM News website sound financial warning bells to me !

"Infrastructure Minister Ray Harmer revealed there had been ’unfortunate setbacks’ in the Liverpool ferry terminal project."

Setbacks should be Harmers middle name !!!

Edited by asitis