Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Unlike you RM to not do your research. The list of amended scheduling was published this morning

7A49FAC6-95FE-464F-90DE-418334F3991D.png

Well you can't expect me to check everything back to the latest source material!  But thanks - that makes sense now, though it doesn't explain the way they issued notification of the cancellation without altering the evening sailing.  They've now altered that by a lot, which is what I expected to see.

It still gives rise to the question how often this needs to happen and if it is becoming increasingly frequent?  Obviously if it was left to the DoI they'd wait till the silt was to the top of the harbour wall and then announce a masterplan to rebuild Douglas from scratch, but action may need to be a bit speedier than that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well you can't expect me to check everything back to the latest source material!  But thanks - that makes sense now, though it doesn't explain the way they issued notification of the cancellation without altering the evening sailing.  They've now altered that by a lot, which is what I expected to see.

It still gives rise to the question how often this needs to happen and if it is becoming increasingly frequent?  Obviously if it was left to the DoI they'd wait till the silt was to the top of the harbour wall and then announce a masterplan to rebuild Douglas from scratch, but action may need to be a bit speedier than that.

There have been a number of reschedulings in recent years, both Heysham and Douglas, at extreme spring tides, when the range for high and low tides are at their greatest, and it also depends on wind direction and weather conditions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Driver2020 said:

The DoI purchased a dredger about 5 or 6 years ago spent an absolute fortune on it used it once I think then it disappeared probably in the hanger in jurby hidden out of site.

Yes, I remember the "african queen" she lay in Jurby hangar along with the £000's worth of slurry pipes that were bought with it to pump silt from Peel harbour to the end of the breakwater. Was anybody sacked over that large waste of taxpayers money? no thought not. 

• Like 3

The old Mannin dredger I believe is still working well down at Padstow she’s been a fine old workhorse that ship has paid for herself many times over,( if only we’d kept her we could have done the clearing of all harbours of silt and as a bonus could have gathered up all the seaweed on Douglas beach to dump it at sea amongst many other uses. Also could have leased her out to cut costs down. I can’t remember the recent one that’s obviously another crap buy along with that kesh Varrey diving boat the Fuel guzzling  see her a mile of Barrule and that custom boat we gave away, I guess the Tarroo ustey has some uses but she sure ain’t pretty.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 3/31/2021 at 6:21 PM, Major Rushen said:

Steam packet should buy a second hand dredger. Look after IOM harbours and do some work at Heysham. First MHK.  to propose will be .....

Heysham being dredged today, with a suction dredger