Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

Ashford also refers to the 'Agreement'.

Difficult to know what is best, total independence for the board or a little interference from the Govt but we all know what that would be? Lower fares and perhaps non economical  routes!

Ashford hinted that having given them some assistance to buy the new boat they have some leverage?

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Ashford also refers to the 'Agreement'.

Difficult to know what is best, total independence for the board or a little interference from the Govt but we all know what that would be? Lower fares and perhaps non economical  routes!

Ashford hinted that having given them some assistance to buy the new boat they have some leverage?

Whichever is the worst most catastrophic option will be found by DOI/Ashford. 

The Steam Packet was a very profitable company before nationalisation. I'm sure they're doing all they can to change that.

14 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I'm just reading an article in this weekend's Indy (P3) that's covering a response to a Tynwald question by Stu Peters to David Ashford re. Steam Packet fares and the setting. Stu suggested that there might be an economic benefit in lowering fares.

David Ashford responded (q/unq) that, "The IoMSPCo operates at arms length from Govt and it's the responsibility of the Board to set ticket prices" All well and good.

However, a few months ago when that nice Mr Thomson joined the Board of the Steamie, he said this...

Screenshot_20210803-194444_Chrome.jpg

When the user agreement was originally introduced I think it included restriction with regard to price increases and required a certain percentage of discounted fares. Outside that it was down to the SP re pricing.

If there is something similar in place now then the two statements are not necessarily incompatible  as effectively the Govt sets certain boundaries and minimum criteria but outside that the SP are left to their own devices.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, monasqueen said:

Both ports are owned by Peel Holdings. What more is there to be said?

Before anyone pipes up about Birkenhead port, that too I believe is owned by Peel Ports. They seem to have us over a proverbial barrel. I don’t know how long the silt situation and tidal issues can carry on for, but the SPC may as well have the Arrow on permanent standby. Could the SPC have used the Mannanan?