Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

41 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Guernseys Government is going into a joint venture with Condor Ferries, whereby the Government are putting up to £20million with Condor putting up the rest towards a new ferry. Condor would run the service. It’s caused ructions with Jerseys Government. Perhaps the above may have worked well for here?

It’s a 20 year old clapped out tub with limited capacity, that even Stena and the Greeks don’t want.

Guernsey are buying it and chartering it to Condor.

And Guernsey make even worse decisions about transport links than the IoM and terminals. 

Aurigny Mk2

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s a 20 year old clapped out tub with limited capacity, that even Stena and the Greeks don’t want.

Guernsey are buying it and chartering it to Condor.

And Guernsey make even worse decisions about transport links than the IoM and terminals. 

Aurigny Mk2

Cheers @John Wright you have given me a chuckle. I only saw the GP article on Facebook but nothing about the ferry and it’s abilities. 

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Operational issues, good of them to tell us. What issues tho? They could have said.

Were there this number of cancellations in the 60s 70s? I don't remember so. Perhaps better informed now?

We had more boats to call on in the 60s and 70s, to cope with many thousands of visitors in the season. Something could have been called on and stood in.

Now, courtesy of market forces, pre the IoMG buyout, we have one ship trudging back and forward. Weather is unavoidable but operational and mechanical issues have no immediate cover.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

On again according to IOM Newspapers.  But that may have been superseded.

According to the IOMSP Facebook, they:

Cancelled it due to weather this morning

Said it was now going at 4:25 pm.

Cancelled it for operational reasons at 7:30 pm

They forgot to tell the crew I reckon.

4 hours ago, Kopek said:

Operational issues, good of them to tell us. What issues tho? They could have said.

Were there this number of cancellations in the 60s 70s? I don't remember so. Perhaps better informed now?

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

We had more boats to call on in the 60s and 70s, to cope with many thousands of visitors in the season. Something could have been called on and stood in.

Now, courtesy of market forces, pre the IoMG buyout, we have one ship trudging back and forward. Weather is unavoidable but operational and mechanical issues have no immediate cover.

In winter the number of boats owned was irrelevant, even in the 60’s and 70’s. The two most recent ferries were used one sailing each way daily. The rest of the fleet was mothballed in Barrow, or Birkenhead. Yes they could be recommissioned and repositioned but it would take 24-48 hours.

February saw one of them go for overhaul, then the other, sequentially. We often had a month of single passenger ferry service.

There were cancellations. But they didn’t face the same operational issues. Heysham and silting, and high sided vessels turning in Heysham in high winds, are operational reasons rather than weather.

I don’t want to be stuck in Lancaster, again, on Monday, but it happens.

Agree, in common with airlines, more info might be interesting. But the engineers will be busy sorting if it’s mechanical, not posting on social media or chatting with PR people ( I hope ), and if it’s weather it’s down to the master.

• Like 2

It is all down to insurance as most things are these days.    It is not the passengers that are the concern but the freight if one of those lorries moves it can cause a load of damage.    I was on the boat a good while ago and something moved totally wrecked a brand new car that was being transported to the Island.