Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

9 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Going to be some cruise to get it back here from Korea. That will be some sea trial and wonder how they will crew the journey . 12,393 nautical miles taking around 52 days at 10 knots. Around 14,250 miles as we know it. Quite a journey 

Don't you remember MR's daily broadcast from the Manannan when it sailed from Aus/Tasmania? A million pounds in fuel for the journey supposedly.

9 minutes ago, finlo said:

Don't you remember MR's daily broadcast from the Manannan when it sailed from Aus/Tasmania? A million pounds in fuel for the journey supposedly.

I dont , didnt know they did that . Wow ..well the figures I've supplied are the best I can do and actually to Liverpool port so pretty close to accurate.

Thanks for that. Everyday's a school day lol   

On 4/9/2022 at 9:18 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Scotland .... but their workforce is notoriously workshy. Going to their GP to get a “line” or whatever they call getting a sickness certificate for no good reason.

Would you care to back those claims up at all? I know many a folk here in Glasgow who are working 12+ hours a day then also having to work a second job to make ends meet. 

Considering the population difference I think that Scotland having an unemployment rate of 3.8% (https://www.statista.com/statistics/367727/unemployment-rate-scotland/) is not bad at all. Of course the Isle of Man with 0.7% unemployment is pretty impressive. Although with the population decline and folk not returning after Uni etc. there is too many jobs out there and nowhere near enough people to fill them, quite a stagnation going on. 

It was well known that during my time on IoM there were plenty of folk with cushy office jobs in finance and online shenanigans who would basically only work half the year thanks to some very lenient sick pay schemes.

Then we don't even have to mention some of Civil Servants who take the proverbial out of all the Manx payers.

• Like 4

Well in my experience working with lads from Glasgow, over here in the early piling works at the Power station , couldn't fault them and there work ethic was like nothing I'd experienced before. Salt of the earth too and really looked after me till I got up to speed. A 50y old and a 55y old and doing what is the hardest job I have ever done and they had done it since their teens. Total respect for them in every way. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Manxweegie said:

Would you care to back those claims up at all? I know many a folk here in Glasgow who are working 12+ hours a day then also having to work a second job to make ends meet. 

Considering the population difference I think that Scotland having an unemployment rate of 3.8% (https://www.statista.com/statistics/367727/unemployment-rate-scotland/) is not bad at all. Of course the Isle of Man with 0.7% unemployment is pretty impressive. Although with the population decline and folk not returning after Uni etc. there is too many jobs out there and nowhere near enough people to fill them, quite a stagnation going on. 

It was well known that during my time on IoM there were plenty of folk with cushy office jobs in finance and online shenanigans who would basically only work half the year thanks to some very lenient sick pay schemes.

Then we don't even have to mention some of Civil Servants who take the proverbial out of all the Manx payers.

Wait until unemployment doubles if Wee Jimmy gets independence & shuts all the defense industry down, closes the oil & gas industry & has the groat for currency 😂

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Wait until unemployment doubles if Wee Jimmy gets independence & shuts all the defense industry down, closes the oil & gas industry & has the groat for currency 😂

Now that I can agree with!

Never mind using the groat, we will be haggling with goats! 😆

• Haha 3

Fair enough. Scotland, for the moment is in the UK but their workforce is notoriously workshy. Going to their GP to get a “line” or whatever they call getting a sickness certificate for no good reason.

You can’t tar the rest of the UK with the same brush.

On 4/9/2022 at 9:37 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Well as my old nan used to say “you can only speak as you find”

She was a wise old bird bless her

It’s nothing to do with the workforce. It’s corruption, political and business, rescuing of shipyards, based on promised contracts, a bit like the prom with incomplete drawings and specs, then changing specs and designs. Then nationalising the yard when the HNWI refused to inject cash to meet the penalty clauses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fair enough. Scotland, for the moment is in the UK but their workforce is notoriously workshy. Going to their GP to get a “line” or whatever they call getting a sickness certificate for no good reason.

You can’t tar the rest of the UK with the same brush.

Spoken like someone who has no idea what he's talking about.

Not my experience of Scots (I hire them to do work for me often) and no one elses either it appears.

I see Everton are having problems raising enough money for their new stadium at half tide dock in liverpool right next  to the isle of man's white Elephant project , watch this space as it all begins to unravel ,and possibly cost us even more money to complete 

15 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I see Everton are having problems raising enough money for their new stadium at half tide dock in liverpool right next  to the isle of man's white Elephant project , watch this space as it all begins to unravel ,and possibly cost us even more money to complete 

Why should it cost us more money?

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 9:37 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Well as my old nan used to say “you can only speak as you find”

She was a wise old bird bless her

Well as my mate Leigh's gran used to say " There's a difference between scratching your arse and tearing it to bits", (absolutely true) .....now she was a  character 🤣. Just saying

1 hour ago, asitis said:

It's Liverpool ?

You can't help but think (or I can't anyway) that the IoM have clearly not greased the right palms. 

Everyone knows mayor Joe and his gang were corrupt, but stuff got done.

When a project in Liverpool spirals wildly out of control it is either because it is a central government project (eg Liverpool Royal) or because you paid off the wrong people

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

You can't help but think (or I can't anyway) that the IoM have clearly not greased the right palms. 

When a project in Liverpool spirals wildly out of control it is either because it is a central government project (eg Liverpool Royal) or because you paid off the wrong people

Or maybe, just maybe, we are governed by imbeciles...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Strange, though, that every thing Liverpool City or Region has been done to budget and on time on the new IoM passenger terminal. That’s the road infrastructure.

And, at the same time as RLBUHT ( not central government ) was building the New Royal, with help, or hindrance, from Carillion, Clatterbridge was building a state of the art combined hard tumour and blood cancer centre on the same health campus. That’s up and running, on time, on budget, and in spite of covid.

I watched them pour the footings and start constructing lift shafts and stairs and floors for the new Clatterbridge,  from my bed in the old Royal in Q4 of 2017. It opened in June 2021

• Like 1