Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

5 minutes ago, Manxweegie said:

That is indeed very true, good examples of it occurring in Greece also and elsewhere.

Just very very poor of Scottish Gov allowing it to go so out of control!

So it fair credit to the Steam Packet as it seems so far (touch wood) that the construction of Manxman seems to be a well run project. Will hold full judgement until that first proper sea trial mind you! 

Don’t worry about the sea trials. If there’s one place that knows how to build ships it’s Korea. 

5 minutes ago, Manxweegie said:

That is indeed very true, good examples of it occurring in Greece also and elsewhere.

Just very very poor of Scottish Gov allowing it to go so out of control!

So it fair credit to the Steam Packet as it seems so far (touch wood) that the construction of Manxman seems to be a well run project. Will hold full judgement until that first proper sea trial mind you! 

So far it seems to be an excellent job. From what I can tell they IOMSPC have been left to design the ship with the ship builders so hopefully there's been no unqualified interference from the usual suspects. 

I'm sure someone will be offended by the type of moquette they use on the seats or the shape of the windows 😂

5 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Don’t worry about the sea trials. If there’s one place that knows how to build ships it’s Korea. 

Indeed, i have sailed on quite a few Korean built ships in my time at sea, always found them to be top quality!

4 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

I'm sure someone will be offended by the type of moquette they use on the seats or the shape of the windows 😂

Oh too right, there will always be someone to complain. Someone will be annoyed it isn't sailed powered! 😆

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Manxweegie said:

Indeed, i have sailed on quite a few Korean built ships in my time at sea, always found them to be top quality!

Oh too right, there will always be someone to complain. Someone will be annoyed it isn't sailed powered! 😆

Or not green enough, and will whinge climate change

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

So far it seems to be an excellent job. From what I can tell they IOMSPC have been left to design the ship with the ship builders so hopefully there's been no unqualified interference from the usual suspects. 

Usually the politicos who never go off the island, and if they did , it won’t be by Steam Packet. 

• Like 1

Of course, my scenario of cancellation and sale won’t actually happen.

Ships financed by the Scottish Executive, ordered from a yard on the Clyde, with little experience, for political reasons, yard subsidised by Scottish Executive and later nationalised to “protect” Scottish jobs, being built for CalMac Assets, owned by Scottish Executive, to be operated by CalMac Operations, owned by the Scottish Executive, via a 60% subsidised and rigged franchise.

The cost will increase and, eventually they’ll sail, but whether they’ll be any good/how long for is questionable.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Of course, my scenario of cancellation and sale won’t actually happen.

Ships financed by the Scottish Executive, ordered from a yard on the Clyde, with little experience, for political reasons, yard subsidised by Scottish Executive and later nationalised to “protect” Scottish jobs, being built for CalMac Assets, owned by Scottish Executive, to be operated by CalMac Operations, owned by the Scottish Executive, via a 60% subsidised and rigged franchise.

The cost will increase and, eventually they’ll sail, but whether they’ll be any good/how long for is questionable.

All we know is that we have been utterly and royal bent over as a Scottish taxy payer. 

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

The new Steam Packet vessel is making great progress. Seems like they don't mess around in Korea! 

https://www.steam-packet.com/blog/isle-of-man-steam-packet-company-new-vessel-progress/ 

Haven't seen that page before. 

Looks good, nice and informative on the progress.

• Like 1

Interestingly (or not) if you play around in the booking system for June 2023 it shows Manxman with Barrule, Niarbyl and Injebreck lounges and a whole load of other cabins. Not available to book seats yet though. 

The timetable also shows just the fastcraft and Manxman, so no Ben-My-Chree visible. Make of that what you will. 

19 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Interestingly (or not) if you play around in the booking system for June 2023 it shows Manxman with Barrule, Niarbyl and Injebreck lounges and a whole load of other cabins. Not available to book seats yet though. 

The timetable also shows just the fastcraft and Manxman, so no Ben-My-Chree visible. Make of that what you will. 

That’s exactly what we’ve been told would happen. It’s the business plan. Ben as reserve/back up boat. Arrow let go.

• Like 1