Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

1 hour ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Yes - don't go giving them ideas!!!

on the cruise ships I have been on  instead of balls they have round coloured  objects like draughts  same score rating as snooker , the table surface is flat and you put talc powder on the table to give the draughts  some dry  lubrication  to reduce friction , it doesn't matter how the ship rolls the draughts stay on the table ,and are easily pocketed 

The new ship looks fantastic, no doubt Calmac will be looking on enviously but to let this ship perform at its maximum potential let’s hope they get Heysham and Douglas harbours regularly dredged as movability with windage considerations at low water she’ll be a handful  to control or sailings will be continually disrupted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

So they had better start dredging Douglas now , I can't understand why government have not invested in a proper dredger ,  they spent a fortune on that suction  device and miles of rubber pipes that has been secreted away somewhere , we never got to the bottom of the waste of money trying to remove tons of stones and  contaminated  silt in the peel marina , dump it over the end of the breakwater  for everyone to see ,  and like the cabbage  its kept out of sight , 

years ago when they had the  Manannan  the last functional dredger , she  kept the silt down in all the ports around  the isle of man  and was available as a floating platform to lift buoy' s and do harbour work 

I guess the suits in the DOI know the cost of everything but value of nothing , lets hope Chris Thomas will sort them out 

2 minutes ago, Omobono said:

So they had better start dredging Douglas now , I can't understand why government have not invested in a proper dredger ,  they spent a fortune on that suction  device and miles of rubber pipes that has been secreted away somewhere , we never got to the bottom of the waste of money trying to remove tons of stones and  contaminated  silt in the peel marina , dump it over the end of the breakwater  for everyone to see ,  and like the cabbage  its kept out of sight , 

years ago when they had the  Manannan  the last functional dredger , she  kept the silt down in all the ports around  the isle of man  and was available as a floating platform to lift buoy' s and do harbour work 

I guess the suits in the DOI know the cost of everything but value of nothing , lets hope Chris Thomas will sort them out 

I expect Chris Thomas' To Do list is already five pages long with just a single line entry for each item.

• Haha 3

On 6/17/2022 at 4:38 PM, Omobono said:

This was the Mannin.

Even though she was built as long ago as 1972, she still exists, and is currently available for hire, from Padstow. https://www.padstow-harbour.co.uk/phc_vessels.html 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Manannan damaged en-route from Belfast due to the weather and is being assessed at the moment.

Trudged along at only 15knts with big weather routing until she rounded the Point of Ayre. Journey took 4 hours 15 mins instead of the usual 2hrs 55 mins.

Hope some onboard got some videos. Must have been awful.

12 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

Manannan damaged en-route from Belfast due to the weather and is being assessed at the moment.

Trudged along at only 15knts with big weather routing until she rounded the Point of Ayre. Journey took 4 hours 15 mins instead of the usual 2hrs 55 mins.

Hope some onboard got some videos. Must have been awful.

Liverpool crossing delayed , I’m supposed to be on it Friday so hopefully it won’t be damaged too much 

4 minutes ago, snowman said:

In hindsight would people have preferred to have been cancelled or to have travelled on it for so long?

4 hrs 15 mins isn't to bad tbh on a rough crossing . Many years ago would be around 9 and think I remember a 14 . And those boats had a keel which would help the journey. 

• Like 1