Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Banker said:

See the Arrow has been leased to condor In Jersey for a spell, hope Ben doesn’t break down or bad weather prevents sailings!! No turkeys or bread!

https://www.channel103.com/news/jersey/another-ship-for-condor-as-festive-demand-rises/

You need to read the article to the last line. The charter is for 21 days to 15/12. So it’ll be back in reserve/use for Christmas freight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

You need to read the article to the last line. The charter is for 21 days to 15/12. So it’ll be back in reserve/use for Christmas freight.

But still leaves us exposed for 3 weeks if any issues with Ben or weather in meantime when shops are stocking up for Xmas,also with postal strikes we are likely to get several days parcels at once which again takes up room.

Personally think it’s a risky decision, boats possibly cancelled tomorrow 

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

But still leaves us exposed for 3 weeks if any issues with Ben or weather in meantime when shops are stocking up for Xmas,also with postal strikes we are likely to get several days parcels at once which again takes up room.

My understanding is that the charter, as the previous sub charter, has a charterers 24 hour break clause in case of need by the charterer. A sort of force majeure clause.

So Arrow can be recalled, and here almost as quickly, as if she was riding it out at Warrenpoint.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Arrow has been doing this type of thing for ages. It just usually goes unreported

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Heysham terminal is even nicer than usual. For the last week or so, there has been no power to it whatsoever. 

Baggage conveyors are now a couple of blokes walking bags round etc. 

Cost saving measures with the price of power now?

You would think a couple of jump leads to the power station over the road would sort it.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Both Heysham sailings tomorrow are flagged for potential cancellation. I’m booked on the 08.45. I’ve got an appointment in Norwich at 10.00 on Friday with Social Services to sort out where my aunt can be discharged to. The care packages haven’t worked out and she’s been readmitted  within a few days of the last two discharges to home.

OK, I thought, I’ll go this evening. But no. It’s the dangerous goods sailing. Only 40 allowed. Unsurprisingly there’s no space, or flexibility.

And where is Arrow, when she is really needed?. Tied up in Stornaway after a crossing from Ullapool.

37 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Both Heysham sailings tomorrow are flagged for potential cancellation. I’m booked on the 08.45. I’ve got an appointment in Norwich at 10.00 on Friday with Social Services to sort out where my aunt can be discharged to. The care packages haven’t worked out and she’s been readmitted  within a few days of the last two discharges to home.

OK, I thought, I’ll go this evening. But no. It’s the dangerous goods sailing. Only 40 allowed. Unsurprisingly there’s no space, or flexibility.

And where is Arrow, when she is really needed?. Tied up in Stornaway after a crossing from Ullapool.

I don't know what else you actually expect the Steam Packet to do here in all honesty.

I can only imagine you'd be complaining if the Arrow was just tied up and not making money, on a basis of just in case.... 

DG sailings are scheduled to very precise requirements so you are right, there is no flexibility with this.