Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

38 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Both Heysham sailings tomorrow are flagged for potential cancellation. I’m booked on the 08.45. I’ve got an appointment in Norwich at 10.00 on Friday with Social Services to sort out where my aunt can be discharged to. The care packages haven’t worked out and she’s been readmitted  within a few days of the last two discharges to home.

OK, I thought, I’ll go this evening. But no. It’s the dangerous goods sailing. Only 40 allowed. Unsurprisingly there’s no space, or flexibility.

And where is Arrow, when she is really needed?. Tied up in Stornaway after a crossing from Ullapool.

It's not forecast to get bad until mid morning. Do you think they will cancel it just because they are worried about being stuck in Heysham until Friday?

9 minutes ago, Manxweegie said:

I don't know what else you actually expect the Steam Packet to do here in all honesty.

I can only imagine you'd be complaining if the Arrow was just tied up and not making money, on a basis of just in case.... 

DG sailings are scheduled to very precise requirements so you are right, there is no flexibility with this. 

No, I’m not complaining. I’m frustrated. I understand the challenges the Steam Packet faces and that weather is outwith their control and that it’s one of the joys of living on an island.

I suppose they could push back the DG sailing and dedicate it to passengers. That’s about all they could do. But I’m not sure how practical that would be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It's not forecast to get bad until mid morning. Do you think they will cancel it just because they are worried about being stuck in Heysham until Friday?

Who knows? Hopefully she’ll go.

Ive waited a while for Social Services to talk with me. They’ve tried to put in care at home packages, but she hasn’t been well enough to do that for some time.

1st return home, after 6 weeks, she became confused and dehydrated after less than a week. Second return she fell again and was found on the floor by the morning care team. It’s very difficult.

• Sad 1

Just now, John Wright said:

Who knows? Hopefully she’ll go.

Ive waited a while for Social Services to talk with me. They’ve tried to put in care at home packages, but she hasn’t been well enough to do that for some time.

1st return home, after 6 weeks, she became confused and dehydrated after less than a week. Second return she fell again and was found on the floor by the morning care team. It’s very difficult.

I hope it does go. I cant see why it wouldn't as the forecast stands. Bad weather is all you need at a time like this for you. I have been there too. Heartbreaking. 

• Like 1

Just now, Happier diner said:

I hope it does go. I cant see why it wouldn't as the forecast stands. Bad weather is all you need at a time like this for you. I have been there too. Heartbreaking. 

6 years ago we put in place, through a local, to her solicitor, lasting powers for health and care and finances. 

He never sent through completed copies. I thought he had them. My aunt thought I had them.

Last year we thought it was time to activate. Office closed. Sole Practitioner. He died 6 months after they were executed. Contacted every solicitor in the area, and the Law Society in London. Nothing. 

Searched my aunts house. Nothing. 

Fortunately he had registered the financial one, so we can operate that. But no real say about care.

Just now, John Wright said:

6 years ago we put in place, through a local, to her solicitor, lasting powers for health and care and finances. 

He never sent through completed copies. I thought he had them. My aunt thought I had them.

Last year we thought it was time to activate. Office closed. Sole Practitioner. He died 6 months after they were executed. Contacted every solicitor in the area, and the Law Society in London. Nothing. 

Searched my aunts house. Nothing. 

Fortunately he had registered the financial one, so we can operate that. But no real say about care.

What a nightmare. Does it default to next of kin if the person does not have capacity?

45 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

What a nightmare. Does it default to next of kin if the person does not have capacity?

Not without a court application. My sister and I are her only living relations and statutory next of kin. She’s the daughter of the brother of my grandfather. So, I think that’s a first cousin, once removed. Both her father and my father were only children and she never had children.

I don’t like drawing up these things for family. Too much risk of allegation of conflict. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see since the government got it's grubby mitts's on the racket it's gone from highly profitable to something else that looses millions every year and having the neck to call it a " marked improvement"!

Edited by finlo

most of this was a demand from a former chief minister  that the vessel  sails as normal during the pandemic , in some cases a sailing I was on only had 5  other  passengers ,  and a sailing every other day would have been  sufficient , this is what happens when government  sticks its greasy fingers into what was probably one of the best  run and most profitable  operations in the Isle of Man 

Liverpool terminal  is a similar  example , another  extortionate  cost we will all have to bear because of some tin pot politicians  vanity  ,and out of touch with the real world 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Omobono said:

most of this was a demand from a former chief minister  that the vessel  sails as normal during the pandemic , in some cases a sailing I was on only had 5  other  passengers ,  and a sailing every other day would have been  sufficient , this is what happens when government  sticks its greasy fingers into what was probably one of the best  run and most profitable  operations in the Isle of Man 

But even at a sailing every other day you would still have your fixed costs, you’ve still got to pay the staff etc.

Some freight is time sensitive so it’s not that cut and dried.

As to it previously being one of the best run operations in the isle of Man then I’m afraid memories are pretty short.