Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

4 minutes ago, philwebs said:

There have been many ship fires caused by "green" electric vehicles over the past decade. Serious as they burn hot and cannot be put out.

The propaganda machines is pushing them hard, and I estimate maybe 10% here are now electric.

Very soon after a ferry or tunnel incident it will not be possible to travel on a ferry or through a tunnel. Risk is there and insurance rates will rise.

I think electric cars will disappear once their flaws are seen and experienced.

No. Their flaws will be sorted out. Plenty of fires caused by petrol and diesel too don't forget. I we have had over a 100 years to sort that one out. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

No. Their flaws will be sorted out. Plenty of fires caused by petrol and diesel too don't forget. I we have had over a 100 years to sort that one out. 

Don't forget petrol/diesel fires are a doddle to put out compared to EV battery fires.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Both Manx Radio and 3 FM trying to make a big story out of the Manxman’s aborted entry today to Heysham Port.   People on board commenting that it was a 20 minute hiccup and that was all everything was fine.    Why do the media try to run down everything we do and print such uninformed headlines, this was posted on FB by the two radio stations and attracted the usual stupid remarks until passengers that were actually on the sailing posted with the actual facts.   Heysham Port can be tricky I can remember one of our boats being stuck on a sandbank for hours some years ago and better to be safe than sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Both Manx Radio and 3 FM trying to make a big story out of the Manxman’s aborted entry today to Heysham Port.   People on board commenting that it was a 20 minute hiccup and that was all everything was fine.    Why do the media try to run down everything we do and print such uninformed headlines, this was posted on FB by the two radio stations and attracted the usual stupid remarks until passengers that were actually on the sailing posted with the actual facts.   Heysham Port can be tricky I can remember one of our boats being stuck on a sandbank for hours some years ago and better to be safe than sorry.

Shouldn’t bother yourself too much, sensible people take no notice of what’s printed in that rag…

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

There’s a difference between being stuck on a sand bank, bottoming on mud, etc, and side thrusters designed for manoeuvring  in harbour not functioning as they should.

Both are newsworthy. In a new vessel, just commissioned, especially so in case of system failure.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

There’s a difference between being stuck on a sand bank, bottoming on mud, etc, and side thrusters designed for manoeuvring  in harbour not functioning as they should.

Both are newsworthy. In a new vessel, just commissioned, especially so in case of system failure.

7 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

A new ship having minor teething troubles is neither unexpected nor newsworthy.

It's a fine balance between the two. Let's hope that balance sways towards teething / snags and not towards poor design or workmanship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

not towards poor design or workmanship

If I wanted a well-built ship I’d buy it from South Korea.

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

The voyage from the yard was a long one and perhaps should have been ironed out en route.

Some of it was, either in the sea trials or the journey from Busan.

But, like with any piece of heavy machinery, real life use can’t replicate testing. We’ll see, but teething niggles are very common.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

It surprises me that these things keep cropping up. The voyage from the yard was a long one and perhaps should have been ironed out en route.

I hope reliability doesn't become an issue. With air travel being so disrupted recently the boat is the real lifeline

You'll not be using thrusters on that route much. If you've ever worked in engineering QC you'll appreciate that failures often happen early on - can be bad materials purchased by the main contractor.

Edited by GD4ELI
  • Thanks 1