Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

8 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

So, what is broken on Manannan?

All sailings approx 45 mins longer now, and it seems it'll be that way for a while.

I remember in the report that Tynwald had when buying the SPCo, it claimed they had all sorts of spares available, above and beyond what you'd need or expect.

Apparently it’s down one of the 4 engines so running on three. Could be just an access issue for that engine to carry out the repair .

8 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

All sailings approx 45 mins longer now, and it seems it'll be that way for a while.

I remember in the report that Tynwald had when buying the SPCo, it claimed they had all sorts of spares available, above and beyond what you'd need or expect.

Covered earlier in thread, I was on Sunday, it’s one engine down 

9 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I’ve heard a rumour that a crankshaft has broke and there is a worldwide shortage of parts. 

9 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Manannan was previously a US Navy ship, so I’d imagine they probably do.

If the engine failure is in an inaccessible area then either they carry on with three engines or they cancel crossings for a few days to fix it. Either way people will moan.

41 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I’ve heard a rumour that a crankshaft has broke and there is a worldwide shortage of parts. 

Says the NMM ( Nation’s Moaning Mouthpiece )

41 minutes ago, 2112 said:

They’re just pretty standard Caterpillar diesels. Lack of parts is unlikely. Calling the balance between taking her out of commission for a week, now, or continue for the next 7 weeks of her ( reducing frequency ) seasonal schedule in favour of continued operation on three engines is more likely.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

Manannan was previously a US Navy ship, so I’d imagine they probably do.

If the engine failure is in an inaccessible area then either they carry on with three engines or they cancel crossings for a few days to fix it. Either way people will moan.

I remember reading the report, and it praised the spares they kept on hand for the Ben too.

Equally, you can't really blame them, the Ben being laid up for lack of a part would be moaned about endlessly.

I think the most annoying part is that the Liverpool boat gets in after the last bus now, so you're stuffed without transport.

What's this all about?

Tomorrow’s Manannan sailings have been rescheduled due to the current weather forecast.

The Steam Packet says the 3pm sailing to Liverpool will now depart at 12:30pm, with the 7:15pm return now scheduled to leave at 5pm.

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/tomorrows-manannan-sailings-to-depart-early-due-to-weather-forecast/

image.thumb.png.095d139cee9011c343e135ccc3d2200e.png

image.thumb.png.3be82894d0ddacd6f4ee9dacf362d146.png