Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

2 hours ago, Kipper99 said:

Although it’s not up on the website yet, just a warning that it “might be cancelled” due to weather, a little bird tells me that the weather, especially wind, will be outside the voluntarily adopted and self imposed wind speed operating restrictions for Manxman to enter and leave Heysham overnight. So it will be cancelled.

Of course Ben could cover the service, but there isn’t a crew.

Wonder what excuse the Steam Packet will come up with? It’s not likely to admit they could substitute the Ben, but can’t provide a crew.

Exactly, the Ben would most likely sail but as you’ve correctly said…. No crew!!!! 

11 minutes ago, The Listening Ear said:

Exactly, the Ben would most likely sail but as you’ve correctly said…. No crew!!!! 

Is it not the case that the new one will be able to sail in this weather once the crew have more experience of her in the harbours?

If so then all the social media moaning by people will look a bit stupid.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Is it not the case that the new one will be able to sail in this weather once the crew have more experience of her in the harbours?

Who knows? Steam packet haven’t issued any mythbuster rebuttals about harbour handling or manoeuvrability or fuel consumption.

Manxman has been here 80 days now. Long time to spend gaining experience. 

Wonder whether she’ll stay in harbour tonight or go for a sail around in the lee of the storm?

It’s doesn’t seem to be an inability to sail in weather like forecast that seems to be the issue, after all she sailed from Korea and has done several long trips out in storms around the island. 

That leaves either lack of experience and training, extreme caution  or handling issues in harbour when it’s windy. I’ve no idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Who knows? Steam packet haven’t issued any mythbuster rebuttals about harbour handling or manoeuvrability or fuel consumption.

Manxman has been here 80 days now. Long time to spend gaining experience. 

Wonder whether she’ll stay in harbour tonight or go for a sail around in the lee of the storm?

It’s doesn’t seem to be an inability to sail in weather like forecast that seems to be the issue, after all she sailed from Korea and has done several long trips out in storms around the island. 

That leaves either lack of experience and training, extreme caution  or handling issues in harbour when it’s windy. I’ve no idea.

There's spring and neap tides and various wind and grounding conditions to consider...plus there's more than one crew that need training. So I'm all for the cautious approach.

• Thanks 1

I was led to believe that they need to have done a certain number of docking scenarios at certain wind speeds before taking on anything much higher - especially when full with people and cargo.

Seems reasonable to me, and it winds me up that in this age of social media people are constantly looking for a conspiracy theory or someone to blame.

If they cancel it then be assured they have done so for good reason and stop bloody moaning and looking for fault in everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

I theory and hopefully, yes.

Although, we haven't really had any proper storms since she arrived.  (did we ever agree that you still call it 'she' when it's the Manxman?)

It's been a windier summer than normal, but not gale force.  Those conditions are only arriving now and I'd assume they've want to get a bit of experience building up through the scale of winds. 

Well, big intake of breath and crossed fingers at Imperial Buildings, subject to anything the master says at 18.00, caution thrown to the wind, and Manxman will attempt Heysham & return overnight.

Should lay this one to rest for once and for all, one way or the other. Douglas still forecast as 40knot winds tomorrow at 6-7am.

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

I was led to believe that they need to have done a certain number of docking scenarios at certain wind speeds before taking on anything much higher - especially when full with people and cargo.

Nah, the Social Media brigade know far better and want the thing returning for a full refund as it's not fit for purpose.

31 minutes ago, Kipper99 said:

Well, big intake of breath and crossed fingers at Imperial Buildings, subject to anything the master says at 18.00, caution thrown to the wind, and Manxman will attempt Heysham & return overnight.

Should lay this one to rest for once and for all, one way or the other. Douglas still forecast as 40knot winds tomorrow at 6-7am.

Where does it say 18:00hrs?
Screenshot2023-09-1817_10_10.png.c611f819dce71f535d92c85239ad9bb1.png

5 hours ago, Kipper99 said:

Wonder what excuse the Steam Packet will come up with? It’s not likely to admit they could substitute the Ben, but can’t provide a crew.

Russell Brand had bought a ticket for this evening's sailing? 

So they cancelled the trip?

Edited by Blade Runner

3 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

It's ok to say this for a while, but like @John Wright says, perhaps it's pushing it a bit now. Cancelling sailings and buggering about changing boats and times is a right PIA for people and ruins plans. Yes, fair enough sometimes it essential and understandable but we got well messed about this weekend when sailing outward with all the changes

I know you dispute it but I was down at the sea terminal looking at the 'adverse' weather that wasn't even lifting the flags from the poles..when we did sail is was one of the most comfortable sailings I have ever been on with the Ben.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It's ok to say this for a while, but like @John Wright says, perhaps it's pushing it a bit now. Cancelling sailings and buggering about changing boats and times is a right PIA for people and ruins plans. Yes, fair enough sometimes it essential and understandable but we got well messed about this weekend when sailing outward with all the changes

I know you dispute it but I was down at the sea terminal looking at the 'adverse' weather that wasn't even lifting the flags from the poles..when we did sail is was one of the most comfortable sailings I have ever been on with the Ben.

Ramsey prom.  Yesterday

Like a mill pond 😂

IMG_7967.jpeg

• Confused 1