Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

4 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

This is interesting if true: https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-industrial-relations-does-not-have-a-trained-qualified-arbitrator/

And, as I said it would, this is now getting political:

does be not delegate  responsibility  for treasury during his absence   to one  or both of his fellow treasury members , 

or does he think he is too important , no wonder it takes for ever for decisions to be made these days 

1 minute ago, Omobono said:

does be not delegate  responsibility  for treasury during his absence   to one  or both of his fellow treasury members , 

or does he think he is too important , no wonder it takes for ever for decisions to be made these days 

FWIW I think that early next year IOMG (who are too afraid to tell the Union to swivel and that they should be talking only to IOMSPCo) will intervene and cave in and ticket and in particular freight prices will rise early next year..... so watch inflation rise yet again. 

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

FWIW I think that early next year IOMG (who are too afraid to tell the Union to swivel and that they should be talking only to IOMSPCo) will intervene and cave in and ticket and in particular freight prices will rise early next year..... so watch inflation rise yet again. 

I think the opposite. If there is no agreement the threat will be carried out. The operational flexibility built into Manxman to run with day and night crew aboard is too big a prize to give up now. I'm sure that there could be compromise if there is the will on both sides, but I believe the company's basic aim is a red line for them.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, woolley said:

I think the opposite. If there is no agreement the threat will be carried out. The operational flexibility built into Manxman to run with day and night crew aboard is too big a prize to give up now. I'm sure that there could be compromise if there is the will on both sides, but I believe the company's basic aim is a red line for them.

100% agree.

I see some MHK’s want some questions answering from the Treasury or as we know them the shareholder and holder of the sea services agreement.

It will be interesting to hear their take on all this, unless of course it’s the standard answer of “we are arms length owners”.

It’s about time other members of the Government stepped in to arbitrate if Mr Allinson can’t delegate that task when he’s off island as reported on Manx Radio website this week. 

Questions for Tynwald sitting on Tuesday 17th attached.

2023-PP-0111.pdf

I was on that Tuesday sailing from Heysham - first time on the boat though do a regular monthly crossing + been exec club member for over 10 years - first impression is that boat is too big for usual custom, speed no better than the Ben and turnaround in harbours considerably slower - on Tuesday no papers on board, the wifi doesn't work, exec club cards can't operate the locks, small problems but illustrate poor customer service. Heysham has problems with insufficient security staff - they load the 'require assistance' passengers 1st which means that cannot load the footies as can't handle the luggage deposit until staff return - on Tuesday loading a wheelchair case caused significant delay that the manager from the desk was called in to check foot passengers thro the 'gate' - being 1st in queue I reached the end of the ramp to find that the landside staff had started to disengage the loading ramp having been informed all were on board with 70 or so footies still to get thru (including the by now irate leader of a coach party) - the web departure time was out by 20minutes hence the late arrival at Douglas where the rotation to access the ramp, a smooth operation on the Ben, seemed very laboured.

6 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

My sisters came back on the Manxman last Friday and can't stop talking about how scared they were because in their words, 'It leaned over all the way back' !

Were they just extra aware or has anyone else experienced this?

maybe if they hadn't sat on the same side it wouldn't have ???   :flowers:

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, WTF said:

maybe if they hadn't sat on the same side it wouldn't have ???   :flowers:

Reminds me of my mother-in-law being most disgruntled at being asked to move seats to the other side of the aisle on a lightly loaded Manx Airlines Shorts 360 many years ago. It wasn't so much that they asked her to move, it was more that they didn't ask anyone else.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

My sisters came back on the Manxman last Friday and can't stop talking about how scared they were because in their words, 'It leaned over all the way back' !

I don't think it's anything unusual having been on similar ships (similar in tonnage and windage). When turning, they'll lean over, which is basic physics. In a side wind, they'll lean - accentuated by the action of the waves too.

14 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

I don't think it's anything unusual having been on similar ships (similar in tonnage and windage). When turning, they'll lean over, which is basic physics. In a side wind, they'll lean - accentuated by the action of the waves too.

Yeah. If it did the full 360 degrees it'd be concerning.

11 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Haven’t noticed it perhaps she had a few too many drinks in bar & was swaying 😂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

9 hours ago, woolley said:

Yeah. If it did the full 360 degrees it'd be concerning.

A list or heel to one side is unusual. Although, Manx Viking had one.

Even in a strong wind the list or heel should swing from side to side.

Theres an IMO safety limit for heeling on turning for passenger vessels. It’s about 10%.

Pretty sure each passenger boat has a heel point, which is calculated,  at which it will capsize, ie do a 180° and stay upside down. Only self fighting boats, like life boats do a 360°

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, John Wright said:

A list or heel to one side is unusual. Although, Manx Viking had one.

Even in a strong wind the list or heel should swing from side to side.

Theres an IMO safety limit for heeling on turning for passenger vessels. It’s about 10%.

Pretty sure each passenger boat has a heel point, which is calculated,  at which it will capsize, ie do a 180° and stay upside down. Only self fighting boats, like life boats do a 360°

I was talking when making a turn, rather than in straight line motion. Watch the Ben or Manxman leave Douglas. In a cabin, the curtains always swing out as you leave the harbour and turn round the breakwater. Agree that a list when travelling straight would be unusual. Although in a strong crosswind whilst yes, the vessel would roll, there's going to be a predominant list to one side. I am guessing that could be corrected by using ballast tanks though?

I suspect being higher above the water line in the passenger compartments makes it seem worse but I was somewhat surprised to find walking away from the windows towards the centre line of the boat on the 8th floor exec club lounge was trickier than I would have expected though the rolls were very gentle and nothing like what the Ben could get up to.
I do wonder how well it is suited to bad weather - eg unlike the other two boats there are no private toilets within easy reach in the exec club lounge (possibly the same on level 7?)
  • Like 1