Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

16 minutes ago, McCallig said:

So will the Manxman always have to take shelter off the West coast of the island every time there's an Easterly blow?

She's been out there now for nearly 24 hours.

That’s why the harbour improvements are being made & with the Ben & Mannanan there there’s not enough room 

On 10/18/2023 at 8:28 PM, Capt_Mainwaring said:

While they're working maybe they can't have a vessel on the Edward pier? And probably easier/cheaper to put Manxman out to sea than Manannan. 

No, that’s not the reason for the Manxman at sea during a good blow,  if it was space in the harbour the Manxman could just go out into the bay and put the hooks in.  The reason has to be the windage of the boat. When the Ben was new the SeaCat was using the spc linkspan with the king orry on the inner Victoria berth ahead of the cat with the Ben on the Edward link span. So no shortage of space.  Just the windage and the high risk of lines parting.

mooring lines have been parting and Douglas is not a safe harbour for Manxman at the present time , 

she is burning fuel  priced at approx 80 pence a litre  so some of these so called weather excursions can cost upwards of £16,000  a time , its a pity the work required in Douglas harbour  could not have been carried out prior to her arrival , after all the DOI knew she was coming and what her dimensions were , add this to all the ongoing  loan and standing charges , the company and the taxpayer  will have to wait a while  yet   until they start to see a return on their money and during this period  the Ben sits there fully crewed ,also burning money ,

given the difference of opinion regarding government interference between the Chairman  and the chief minister I wonder how long it will be before we see a fall out amongst the directors ? 

53 minutes ago, Manxman2000 said:

No, that’s not the reason for the Manxman at sea during a good blow,  if it was space in the harbour the Manxman could just go out into the bay and put the hooks in.  The reason has to be the windage of the boat. When the Ben was new the SeaCat was using the spc linkspan with the king orry on the inner Victoria berth ahead of the cat with the Ben on the Edward link span. So no shortage of space.  Just the windage and the high risk of lines parting.

I'll wait to see when the Ben has moved on. When all 3 are in at the moment, where would they fit if the Edward pier is not accessible due to the ongoing work?

my own impression is that Manxman will not provide the reliable service that the Ben had provided for many years - i suspect too big for Heysham in terms of windage, I suspect right on the edge for Douglas - both reasons I think will see it stay in port many more days than did the Ben - winter service will I think fall to Arrow doing one freight only crossing with Manxman doing a Liverpool crossing two or three times a week (maybe not timetabled as such but like TPE trains cancelled the day before - we are seeing this already)

7 minutes ago, Frances said:

my own impression is that Manxman will not provide the reliable service that the Ben had provided for many years - i suspect too big for Heysham in terms of windage, I suspect right on the edge for Douglas - both reasons I think will see it stay in port many more days than did the Ben - winter service will I think fall to Arrow doing one freight only crossing with Manxman doing a Liverpool crossing two or three times a week (maybe not timetabled as such but like TPE trains cancelled the day before - we are seeing this already)

Said the same about the Ben when first arrived now everyone is calling it the best ship ever!!

• Like 2

When the Ben first arrived it was basically a freight boat with very limited passenger facilities needing some extra ballast for stability - the last few years have seen its passenger facilities maxed out and for majority of sailings they were more than sufficient for the winter service - I can't see Manxman being full - I suspect passenger loadings will be limited by staffing - its use of a muster station I suspect is one reason for having double shifts always available for critical incidents.
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Banker said:

Said the same about the Ben when first arrived now everyone is calling it the best ship ever!!

The Ben is the best boat the packet have had, most reliable.  When new she was a dog. But 600 tons of concrete sorted that out.  It’s the Manannan that needs to go, uses too much fuel by a long way. Get shut off the cat and with the saving crew the Ben, leave her to Heysham.  Put the trophy back in its cabinet and stop pissing about with the crews. 

Edited by Manxman2000
Typo

12 minutes ago, Frances said:

I can't see Manxman being full - I suspect passenger loadings will be limited by staffing - its use of a muster station I suspect is one reason for having double shifts always available for critical incidents.

As far as I know you can’t count crew on a 10 hour break (bed time) in for the crew count for emergency’s 

Manxman on Liverpool is a good idea,  she could go to Liverpool and sit on the ramp from 10am till 7pm just like the Lady did. Liverpool shopping trips don’t have to be a thing of the past. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gizo said:

The Olympic flame not going again. Stena has no problem. 

Plenty of other ferries cancelled around UK including condors new ferry in Guernsey, hasn’t even sailed yet.

As has been pointed out to you before Stenna ferry is much larger & doesn’t go from Heysham , but not like you to ignore facts!!