Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

6 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Is this the one where they translate the instruction book, and reboot all the electronics?

Whatever it is it’s odd they can’t decide what to schedule in her place. It’s either Ben for the 10 missing sailings, or Arrow for the evening/overnights with Manannan for morning/afternoons.

Yes, the Lady was not so good after her refit.

That Dublin trip sounds like a trip I heard about, with Eddie Fargher driving. He spent ages fighting the wind, and making no way against it at all, after which he felt he had no option but to "Go home".

Edited by monasqueen

3 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Yes, the Lady was not so good after her refit.

That Dublin trip sounds like a trip I heard about, with Eddie Fargher driving. He spent ages fighting the wind, and making no way against it at all, after which he felt he had no option but to "Go home".

The turn was frightening. Really bad heel. Yes, we made very little progress into the wind after leaving the lea of the Island.

4 hours ago, Chie said:

They have said this for the last three storms and each one has not delivered the promised wind or rain quotas. I really like storms, especially going out walking in them. And yet so far, this one is just another windy night with a few heavy showers of rain so far.

Still think there’s no rain or storm? See police updates, lots of trees blocking roads, flooding etc

7 minutes ago, Ontheinside said:

Enlighten me. Why do we have a harbour when the Manxman sits on the outer wall in a storm?

Because it's not that rough in the southern corner of Douglas bay.  It's a S/SW so Douglas head and the breakwater provide a lot of shelter.  If it was an Easterly you might have a point. 

image.png.4e1e32a9866fe5c8618eb0b46292df49.png

image.png.47e3f42d273b9e0c9b2b10a9eb64a617.png

• Like 1

I guess because it will do least damage if it breaks loose due to its windage - I'm convinced that it is unsuited to the route and was a typical committee design - size, weight, emergency provision, difficulties within its usual harbours and I suspect judged from the excessive shaking of the whole boat as it rotates in the harbours there will be problems here - its timekeeping as compared to the Ben is dismal.
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

it's not that rough in the southern corner of Douglas bay.  It's a S/SW so Douglas head and the breakwater provide a lot of shelter.

image.png.4e1e32a9866fe5c8618eb0b46292df49.png

Can somebody explain why it is that you can see Wendy Ann at the back of the ship, pushing hard to keep her against the wall.

What's this shelter you're talking about?

7 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Can somebody explain why it is that you can see Wendy Ann at the back of the ship, pushing hard to keep her against the wall.

What's this shelter you're talking about?

The wind is currently W / SW.  SW it would blow it against the wall.   W it might do a bit of a swirl around the harbour and would be blowing straight into her stern.

Either way, look at the complete absence of any meaningful waves or whitewater in either of those webcam shots. 

52 minutes ago, Ontheinside said:

Enlighten me. Why do we have a harbour when the Manxman sits on the outer wall in a storm?

She isn’t on the “outer wall”. She’s on the Victoria Pier ( not sure what the berth number is ) and is inside the harbour.

Where she berths has changed, since Ben went off to Belfast. In previous storms, when they were doing turn and turn about, Ben was in harbour and Mx went on walk about sheltering in the lea of the island ( which side depending on the wind direction )

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

She isn’t on the “outer wall”. She’s on the Victoria Pier ( not sure what the berth number is ) and is inside the harbour.

Where she berths has changed, since Ben went off to Belfast. In previous storms, when they were doing turn and turn about, Ben was in harbour and Mx went on walk about sheltering in the lea of the island ( which side depending on the wind direction )

Yes, and presumably the Victoria Pier is less likely to go walkabout with the boat attached than the (pre-reinforcement project) King Edward Pier.