Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Has there been a public statement of why the works were not completed before the first arrival of the ship?

It would nice to know.  As I pointed out earlier in the topic, (I'm not going to do all those links again) planning was only applied for July 2022 well after work had started on construction, never mind the specification of the vessel.  Given that it's difficult to see why it's not yet ready, the real question is why the process started so late.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Has there been a public statement of why the works were not completed before the first arrival of the ship?

2 hours ago, finlo said:

Because DoI!

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It would nice to know.  As I pointed out earlier in the topic, (I'm not going to do all those links again) planning was only applied for July 2022 well after work had started on construction, never mind the specification of the vessel.  Given that it's difficult to see why it's not yet ready, the real question is why the process started so late.

All true, but whenever the work was carried out, King Edward Pier was going to spend time out of commission. Services would therefore still need to be moved to Victoria Pier with the same resultant disruption at low tide whether with Manxman or Ben My Chree. Perhaps it is better in November than in spring or summer.

11 minutes ago, woolley said:

All true, but whenever the work was carried out, King Edward Pier was going to spend time out of commission. Services would therefore still need to be moved to Victoria Pier with the same resultant disruption at low tide whether with Manxman or Ben My Chree. Perhaps it is better in November than in spring or summer.

Work might have been carried out more quickly than in Autumn though due to weather and if the whole thing had been done with a greater lead-in, hopefully it would all have been better prepared.  And the Manxman's draught (5.2 m) is slightly higher than the Ben's (5.0 m) which would also make a difference if the works had been completed before the ship arrived.

15 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Work might have been carried out more quickly than in Autumn though due to weather and if the whole thing had been done with a greater lead-in, hopefully it would all have been better prepared.  And the Manxman's draught (5.2 m) is slightly higher than the Ben's (5.0 m) which would also make a difference if the works had been completed before the ship arrived.

As you say, "slightly". Ben would have had similar difficulty operating from Victoria Pier, and all the nutters would still be blaming the boat.............

29 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It doesn’t matter, extra costs can be passed on to customers.

Sometimes you need to think before you put your prejudiced brain and fingers into operation.

They have the benefit of membership of a protection and indemnity club.

Once, a very long time ago, someone put a word substitution widget in place, every time one poster used a particular word, that only he used, it was auto changed.

Perhaps the current team of admin could set a trigger for “NPM” so it actually reads “2112 is a wanker”.

Itd be as childish as your use of NPM, but much funnier.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It looks like the SPCo are antagonising the union Nautilis again as they begin to ballot their members on industrial action. 

Well you’re obviously anti anything but here’s company response which seems reasonable 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/steam-packet-confused-as-nautilus-ballots-members/

• Like 1

the boat has been cancelled tomorrow - the weather forecast is for a force 7 decreasing in morning - then look at the following days and I guess its increased draft and the state of the tide and Heysham harbour means major upsets - the boat is just unsuitable for winter service in my opinion - over the last ten or more years I cannot recall anything similar with the Ben Edited by Frances
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Frances said:

the boat has been cancelled tomorrow - the weather forecast is for a force 7 decreasing in morning - then look at the following days and I guess its increased draft and the state of the tide and Heysham harbour means major upsets - the boat is just unsuitable for winter service in my opinion - over the last ten or more years I cannot recall anything similar with the Ben

I reckon you are right. The Ben would have sailed

image.png.2aad28b679a7c8676cba7f84200b3f4a.png

It’s a mess.

im booked on the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander in December. I’ve felt it necessary to book the Steam Packet 2 days early. 

A few days later Paul is going Eurotunnel and driving through France, Switzerland and Italy, before getting the ferry from Ancona to Igoumenitsa in Greece. Again we’ve felt it necessary to build in extra time in case of steam packet cancellations.

Siltation? FFS.

IMG_5046.png