Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

11 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Would be interesting to know who decided on the much increased passenger capacity. Clearly this new boat has not been designed for the Irish sea, especially taking climate change into account.

What impact does climate change have on the boat? Apart from having to traverse around wind farms

11 minutes ago, cissolt said:

What impact does climate change have on the boat? Apart from having to traverse around wind farms

More and stronger storms. More extreme weather events. Those high sides are not going to help.

• Haha 1

High side's are nothing to do with climate change just a design fault for a ship that has to maneuver in confined harbour areas. Always been told that the Irish sea imposes totally different design needs because of tide and extreme short wave breaks, hence the previous manx boats were of a design not seen around other waters. And having seen and been on those craft in anything from scorching sun with mirror like sea's to near gales with white water every where they did the job admirably and the only cut in winter passenger numbers were people scared of sea sickness. Always remember the previous Manx man having been to Ireland coming down the east coast  on a flat calm mill pond coming past us(we were in a boat not waliking) just 1 1/2 miles of the coast at Groudle doing 18 knots, the bow cleaving the water was a site to behold. Oh for a video camera.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Agreed.  It sounds far windier than the weather forecast would suggest.  

Glad I am not anywhere near a boat at the moment.

My forecast is saying anything between 25 and 52 gusting. Sounds like you’re getting the upper end of that depending on direction etc. And I agree . No thank you . 

Edited by Numbnuts

38 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

High side's are nothing to do with climate change just a design fault for a ship that has to maneuver in confined harbour areas. Always been told that the Irish sea imposes totally different design needs because of tide and extreme short wave breaks, hence the previous manx boats were of a design not seen around other waters. And having seen and been on those craft in anything from scorching sun with mirror like sea's to near gales with white water every where they did the job admirably and the only cut in winter passenger numbers were people scared of sea sickness. Always remember the previous Manx man having been to Ireland coming down the east coast  on a flat calm mill pond coming past us(we were in a boat not waliking) just 1 1/2 miles of the coast at Groudle doing 18 knots, the bow cleaving the water was a site to behold. Oh for a video camera.

“People scared of sea sickness”

I am not scared of sea sickness, and have only been sick on a ferry once means years ago which couldn’t really be blamed on weather conditions.

However to suggest winter figures see a dip because of a fear is stupid.  Why would I deliberately put myself in a situation where due to the time of year and likelihood of bad weather I am quite likely to be delayed or have to tolerate a long crossing with people throwing up all around me.

There would have to be an extremely good reason for me to voluntarily get on a boat in winter when it’s much easier to fly so I never book them between October an March but it’s nothing to do with a fear of sea sickness.  It’s about valuing my time and my comfort.

I cannot help but think there are issues with the Manxman or the way it is manned as the Seatruck Progress a mere 9mts longer than the Manxman has sailed from Liverpool to Dublin as scheduled and to be fair there appears to be a lot of other ferries running to schedule. I know it is a new boat but they have had it long enough to get to used to it's handling as any new boat. If there are harbour issues with silt etc. is that not the responsibility of the owners to maintain and make sure it is fit for purpose. IMHO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

I cannot help but think there are issues with the Manxman or the way it is manned as the Seatruck Progress a mere 9mts longer than the Manxman has sailed from Liverpool to Dublin as scheduled and to be fair there appears to be a lot of other ferries running to schedule. I know it is a new boat but they have had it long enough to get to used to it's handling as any new boat. If there are harbour issues with silt etc. is that not the responsibility of the owners to maintain and make sure it is fit for purpose. IMHO.

Maintenance (at times) isnt exactly a strong point.