Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

1 hour ago, swoopy2110 said:

I saw someone tag someone on FB who was on it writing -  "Hope you are ok"...

Jesus christ. What does she actually think has happened other than the boat taking longer than it should have taken.

You missed a bit: "Hope you are ok... hun"

• Haha 1

You made me feel pretty shit now. And deservedly so. 

I have been sea sick on a number of rare occasions, and each time as far as I was concerned I would have been more than happy for someone to just shoot me and throw me overboard.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I have been sea sick on a number of rare occasions, and each time as far as I was concerned I would have been more than happy for someone to just shoot me and throw me overboard.

Back to the trips I made in school holidays to attend CCF camps - one crossing was so bad the police dogs onboard were sick. It was that bad!

5 hours ago, Frances said:

If they loaded the passengers then sat in port for hours then how did they load the freight - Manx Radio is carrying the story that the problem was due to insufficient port staff (presumably freight tugs + drivers to load the trailers) as freight is normally loaded first - the departure abt 7am would I think be near high water - possibly due to the suddenly found silt the channel over the sandbank outside the harbour isn't deep enough for the boat - anyway it will demonstrate what the boat is like in poorer weather than it has sailed so far.

Maintenance costs money - not something Peel Ports willingly expend - catch is Liverpool is also a Peel Port and though spending almost the same amount as the boat cost on the new facility there it cannot handle freight.

I understood Liverpool can handle freight, just not at 2am as it’s a residential area, where did yo7 read it can’t handle freight & don’t say facebook!!

54 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Yes been there too. And as for it leaving once you get off the ship….nahhhh I was in a mess for days. But I was more referring to someone with ongoing health issues , might even been getting treatment etc. no biggy don’t beat yourself up we’ve all done it . 

22 minutes ago, Banker said:

I understood Liverpool can handle freight, just not at 2am as it’s a residential area, where did yo7 read it can’t handle freight & don’t say facebook!!

I thought the problem was lack of a marshaling area needed for the freight - maybe I misunderstood but all the initial description of Manxman was that it would mostly work the Douglas-Heysham route with possible Weekend winter service to Liverpool rather like the Ben did to Birkenhead and thus a marshaling area was not required

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Frances said:

I thought the problem was lack of a marshaling area needed for the freight - maybe I misunderstood but all the initial description of Manxman was that it would mostly work the Douglas-Heysham route with possible Weekend winter service to Liverpool rather like the Ben did to Birkenhead and thus a marshaling area was not required

I think that Liverpool can be used for freight in an emergency. 

I would hope that the winter weekend sailings to and from Liverpool are a big success, to the point that the Manxman is at maximum passenger and vehicle capacity at both sailings otherwise the new ferry terminal will be a great underused white elephant. 

2 hours ago, Banker said:

There are planning restrictions. Both time of day and (a very limited) number of days per year if the Heysham facilities aren’t able to be used.

However availability of a marshalling area or tug masters and drivers would limit that severely.

4 hours ago, cissolt said:

What are you basing that on?

The met office data disagrees with you.

Screenshot_2023-11-23-11-22-32-69_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

9 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

More and stronger storms. More extreme weather events. Those high sides are not going to help.

NOAA and UK Met Office studies showing that the intensity of tropical storms in the Atlantic is increasing.  Not sure of any specific data for here, but most of our big storms are the arse end of Hurricanes.  

https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-warming-and-hurricanes/