Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You’ve missed the point. 

Cabins may have kettles that can be filled from bottles. The coffee barrista machines and hot water geysers for crew catering and passenger catering are all plumbed in.

I don't think so. It's free drinking water they're all moaning about. I accept that they could get some bottled water on there, boil it up and sell tea and coffee. They should. I have no idea why they don't. No initiative among the crew, or no co-operation?

3 hours ago, WTF said:

water it is a basic , if you can't sort the basics what chance does the rest have,  it's a shit show as per usual.

Fresh water in system that avoids airlocks on a ferry that has no continuous fresh water supply and which needs to pump it around a vessel that rocks and rolls is a basic?

In a restaurant I agree as it just comes from the mains, but I am not sure you understand the complexity of such a system on a bespoke vessel.

3 hours ago, Gizo said:

Wtf you on about. Water is essential

youd be the first to complain if you couldn’t access water. 

Water isn’t essential on a four hour trip ffs.  You can buy it, and other soft drinks on board or you an go to the bar.

Nobody is going to dehydrate in a few hours because they are too tight to spend a couple of quid in the shop!!

Beer on the boat is essential.  Water isn’t 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Heysham tide tables are available on line, and give expected height, but the one I've found for Heysham today doesn't seem to help explain the problem.

https://www.tidetimes.org.uk/heysham-tide-times-20231130

The tide table will not explain the silting in individual harbours which is said to be the issue.  So, the tide table may say high tide at x o'clock with a height (which varies with the lunar and seasonal cycles, as well as air pressure as others have referred to)  but the height does not indicate the depth above the seabed at a particular point.  The high water will hit whatever mark, but that does not mean there is clear water to the same depth below if there is silting.

Look at any harbour and there are marked gauges to show the water height.  What they don't show is where the seabed below is.   

Or have I missed your point and quite happy to accept I have as it is not my area, although I did do a bit of sailing many years ago.  

Edited by Gladys
Add clarification

The problem relating to the indecent haste to get out of Heysham early this morning could not, surely, have been caused by tides, or siltation.

It was high tide at 00.33 at Heysham, by my reading of the tide table.

Or am I more than usually confused?

(Am I similarly confused about the need to get out of Douglas early this evening? Departure from Douglas 19.05. Low tide in Douglas 19.37. Pretty close, perhaps.) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

The problem relating to the indecent haste to get out of Heysham early this morning could not, surely, have been caused by tides, or siltation.

It was high tide at 00.33 at Heysham, by my reading of the tide table.

Or am I more than usually confused?

(Am I similarly confused about the need to get out of Douglas early this evening? Departure from Douglas 19.05. Low tide in Douglas 19.37. Pretty close, perhaps.) 

Perhaps something to do with stirring up the silt?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

Fresh water in system that avoids airlocks on a ferry that has no continuous fresh water supply and which needs to pump it around a vessel that rocks and rolls is a basic?

In a restaurant I agree as it just comes from the mains, but I am not sure you understand the complexity of such a system on a bespoke vessel.

Well, every other ship manages it and has done for a long time. 

If you couldn’t manage pumping liquid from place to place without airlocks, then would the engines not end up stalling as it pitches and rolls too?

They don’t have a mains supply of diesel…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Well, every other ship manages it and has done for a long time. 

If you couldn’t manage pumping liquid from place to place without airlocks, then would the engines not end up stalling as it pitches and rolls too?

They don’t have a mains supply of diesel…

A two second google confirms that drinking water systems on ships fail all over the world.

People just fix them and crack on without moaning

• Haha 1

Just now, CrazyDave said:

A two second google confirms that drinking water systems on ships fail all over the world.

People just fix them and crack on without moaning

I think people are more displeased about the fact that the Steam Packet don’t seem to be handling it particularly well.

A few crates of water bottles per sailing wouldn’t exactly cost them much in the scheme of things.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Nobody is going to dehydrate in a few hours because they are too tight to spend a couple of quid in the shop!!

What a classic (fantasy) HNW banker statement. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

What a classic (fantasy) HNW banker statement. 

Yawn.

People who can’t afford or don’t want to eat or drink on the boat take their own sandwiches and flask.

It has happened for as long as I have been alive.  Nobody is really going to suffer if there is no drinking water on a crossing.

There are several options including taking your own, buying something, having a beer and cheering to fuck up, or doing without for a few hours.

Edited by CrazyDave