Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

shipping forecast on Gov site dated 4pm today Thurs

Wind: South to southeast 6 to gale 8 veering south to southwest 4 or 5 early this evening
increasing southwest 5 or 6 late evening and 7 at times tomorrow
State of Sea: Moderate or rough becoming slight or moderate for a time this evening and tonight
Weather: Rain clearing early evening to isolated showers, showers will become more
frequent and widespread tomorrow
Visibility: Moderate or poor in rain becoming good except in showers

Outlook for the following 24 hours:
Wind: Southwest 6 or 7 increasing 7 to gale 8 Friday evening, backing southeast 5 or 6
Friday night, becoming cyclonic 7 to severe gale 9 Saturday morning

The Manxman is now connected to the ramp (check the webcam) thus looks as tho tonight's boat might go - they will need it as if the forecast for Friday holds that evening boat won't run Edited by Frances

I don’t care what anyone says the high structure of the Manxman has to be a big issue with winds in certain directions never mind the state of the sea. And as for berthing , again a possible problem. I’ve had a boat , obviously much smaller , but with a big cabin and it was a bastard to steer in any sort of wind . Especially into a mooring .  

• Like 4

Interesting just got this of a Steam Packet blog. There having a laugh right !! 

One of our greatest challenges has been designing a bespoke vessel which meets our needs and requirements but also fits into the ports where we operate. So, although Manxman will have a greater capacity for passengers and freight, and feel much more open and spacious compared to the Ben-my-Chree, there will not be a significant noticeable difference in the physical size of the two vessels.

The difference in the upper structure of the Manxman and the Ben is substantial . Never mind the 8 meters longer .  

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Interesting just got this of a Steam Packet blog. There having a laugh right !! 

One of our greatest challenges has been designing a bespoke vessel which meets our needs and requirements but also fits into the ports where we operate. So, although Manxman will have a greater capacity for passengers and freight, and feel much more open and spacious compared to the Ben-my-Chree, there will not be a significant noticeable difference in the physical size of the two vessels.

The difference in the upper structure of the Manxman and the Ben is substantial . Never mind the 8 meters longer .  

I'm reserving judgement until the wind speed restrictions have been lifted. Saying that the Ben was increasingly getting cancelled in a F6 or 7 when a few years ago she'd have sailed. The Manxman does have additional bow thruster though. And this style of ferry is in widespread use around the country.

I wonder if, when the Liverpool berth is finally complete, they'll use that as a contingency berth in winds where Heysham is inaccessible? (Likewise in fog?).

10 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

I'm reserving judgement until the wind speed restrictions have been lifted. Saying that the Ben was increasingly getting cancelled in a F6 or 7 when a few years ago she'd have sailed. The Manxman does have additional bow thruster though. And this style of ferry is in widespread use around the country.

I wonder if, when the Liverpool berth is finally complete, they'll use that as a contingency berth in winds where Heysham is inaccessible? (Likewise in fog?).

Freight use is very limited, both as to the time ( day time only ) and the number of days per year.

Yes, this type of high sided vessel is widespread. But they aren’t going into Douglas or Heysham. I’m booked on one of the BF e-flexers next week. But I’m leaving here 2 days early to ensure I have flexibility in case of canx of Mx.

49 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes, this type of high sided vessel is widespread. But they aren’t going into Douglas or Heysham. I’m booked on one of the BF e-flexers next week. But I’m leaving here 2 days early to ensure I have flexibility in case of canx of Mx.

Yes - so, the options are: Ropax ferry which will always be high sided, or return to a more traditional ferry for Pax only and have a freight vessel which is probably going to go out in any weather. The latter is probably not viable any longer and would drive costs up. It's all down to economics surely? I'm still reserving final judgement until wind speed restrictions are lifted.