Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

Someone posted this , originally from many years ago about the Ben which had similar issues to ManxMan and now Ben according to many is tge greatest boat ever!!

image.thumb.png.6a93a6730bcc36307a34af6af63f1b0a.pngimage.thumb.png.71c9c210a093997c5ed5ce89f47aa890.png

Yes. She had issues, but they were very different.

She was light and very “bouncy” until they put lots of concrete in her. She was terrible in rough sea.

She didn’t have sufficient passenger accommodation.

But she could manoeuvre in harbour.

Don't think there’s anything wrong with sea keeping qualities of Manxman, maybe too much passenger accommodation for most of the year.

Severe windage issues. Which can’t be cured.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

I'm reserving judgement until the wind speed restrictions have been lifted. Saying that the Ben was increasingly getting cancelled in a F6 or 7 when a few years ago she'd have sailed. The Manxman does have additional bow thruster though. And this style of ferry is in widespread use around the country.

I wonder if, when the Liverpool berth is finally complete, they'll use that as a contingency berth in winds where Heysham is inaccessible? (Likewise in fog?).

When it comes to the boats seemingly not willing to sail in the big storms they used to, I wonder if it's just the fact that people are generally pussies nowadays and more willing to moan, sue, complain. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

When it comes to the boats seemingly not willing to sail in the big storms they used to, I wonder if it's just the fact that people are generally pussies nowadays and more willing to moan, sue, complain. 

Yup. The amount of whoppers on Facebook who write things like "It should never have sailed" and uploading videos are probably part of the reason.

6 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Claim culture and Facebook main reasons probably, we can probably all remember sailing in very rough seas and it was basically if you wanted to get to Liverpool for the match you got on boat.

16 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Well you certainly don't hear of individuals suing and the fact that the Steam Packet is fairly good on flexibility of booking would make it more difficult.  So I suspect this is all just Boomer Babble ("We used to have to swim to Liverpool naked through icebergs before breakfast").

What might be more important is companies using freight suing for damage caused by rough crossings and resultant pressure from insurers having to pay out.

13 hours ago, Frances said:

Arrow was also loaded and left about 20mins ago so looks as tho the outstanding freight has been cleared

The outstanding newspapers from yesterday are being shipped in today on Arrow, which will arrive around 14.30.

I wonder if Tesco's bananas are on her, too? 😁

2 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

The outstanding newspapers from yesterday are being shipped in today on Arrow, which will arrive around 14.30.

I wonder if Tesco's bananas are on her, too? 😁

Excellent, I'll be waiting earnestly to buy yesterday's paper this evening sometime... 

I think my newsagent had the wrong story - the distributors are now saying "Friday 8th Dec, National newspapers arrived at 06:45am. Manx Papers have arrived and all vans are now on the road."

Arrow is still over 2 hours out, so the local papers must have been hidden somewhere. 

3 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

I'm still reserving final judgement until wind speed restrictions are lifted.

will they ever get lifted when trying to fit a big boat into a little harbour? or will the current restrictions become  new operational limits ?

Edited by WTF

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

But she could manoeuvre in harbour.

There were a few occasions in her first winter where she aborted entry in to the harbour and ran for cover until the wind abated. I remember as I was watching her from my window. I used to see the Wendy Ann meet her on a number of occasions in the fairway and accompany her in to assist with berthing, so there must have been some concerns over manoeuvrability. She did have more than one contretemps with the harbour fixtures here and in Heysham.

15 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

There were a few occasions in her first winter where she aborted entry in to the harbour and ran for cover until the wind abated. I remember as I was watching her from my window. I used to see the Wendy Ann meet her on a number of occasions in the fairway and accompany her in to assist with berthing, so there must have been some concerns over manoeuvrability. She did have more than one contretemps with the harbour fixtures here and in Heysham.

That was when she was light and riding higher in the water. The addition of the concrete ballast improved her as a sea boat and harbour manoeuvrability.

There was a cure for her issues, not sure that there is if it’s windage. The side area of Mx must be twice that of Ben. I don’t suppose cutting some bloody big holes through from side to side ( which would improve her windage problem ) would be very popular. 

IMG_5104.jpeg