Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No, but ease of  manoeuvrability may change with speed and direction, and state of tide…

Yes. I understand all that. I was merely querying the comment about lack of space. Like others have said there is quite a bit. 

Yes of course that space becomes a tighter margin in wind and rough seas. 

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

I didn't mean discretion around the limits, there is none, I meant discretion around the comfort of the passengers and the need to sail.

Comfort. Only if it’s extreme.

Need to sail is commercial, and head office, as long as master deems it safe

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

The other ferries that use Heysham are some 30 odd feet longer than Manxman, so if it's only a few feet for Manxman then it must be a fag paper for them then!

Indeed, I was quite surprised how tight it was while rotating something I've never noticed when on the Ben.

Then again you can't get as close to the bow on the Ben.

11 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

The other ferries that use Heysham are some 30 odd feet longer than Manxman, so if it's only a few feet for Manxman then it must be a fag paper for them then!

Yes, but they, and Ben, have a much smaller side area

IMG_5106.png

IMG_5110.jpeg

IMG_5109.jpeg

IMG_5108.jpeg

IMG_5107.jpeg

The statistics on wind (speed + direction) have been collected for years - the through holes in the sides of the SeaTruck boats weren't put there at the whim of some crayonista but based on knowledge of the ports and routes served - it would appear judging from the last few weeks that winter service was not foreseen in the design of the new boat - maybe the best approach is to get the Ben fixed and let it handle the 3 remaining months of winter service - maybe the Manxman can try berthing at Liverpool now the ramp has been installed

After all the Manxman is restricted to the same number of passengers as the Ben - and no doubt staffing disputes may bite once the new rostering is forced - loading the Manxman is for some reason slower than the Ben.

Edited by Frances

9 minutes ago, kevster said:

Don't forget - those Stena ships are cargo vessels and not passenger/cargo

That may be relevant for  a decision about the comfort and safety of a crossing in severe weather, but is unlikely to be relevant for turning in harbour.

58 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That may be relevant for  a decision about the comfort and safety of a crossing in severe weather, but is unlikely to be relevant for turning in harbour.

They can manage without the larger superstructure though

Presumably the location of the superstructure affects the movement in sidewinds - the other ships shown above have a superstructure at the front, so will turn away from the wind. On the other hand The Manxman will simply move sideways.

No doubt sailors are well aware of this.