Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

The two sailings will be vans (or RoRo stuff) + domestic cars etc thus relatively quick turnaround - freight could be handled by Arrow - no daily papers + suspect some fresh food may not hit shops until late morning but would be cheaper for SPCo - say 5hr + 1 hr turnaround - catch is wouldn't allow day trips for shopping but might just fit in a 12hr day.

16 minutes ago, Frances said:

The two sailings will be vans (or RoRo stuff) + domestic cars etc thus relatively quick turnaround - freight could be handled by Arrow - no daily papers + suspect some fresh food may not hit shops until late morning but would be cheaper for SPCo - say 5hr + 1 hr turnaround - catch is wouldn't allow day trips for shopping but might just fit in a 12hr day.

It’ll be 08.00 out to Liverpool and 14.00 back to IoM. Saturdays and Sundays. The Friday, Saturday and Sunday overnights will still be Heysham. So freight will still be Mx via Heysham, so food and papers will still arrive on schedule.

The loading of cars etc has just started so probably a 21:15 departure rather than 19:45 - tomorrow's papers look as tho they will be late - ETA finally getting away 21:25

A late evening departure from Liverpool would allow people to go to a football match and/or a theatre/show in Liverpool - would fill the cabins and also be allowable if the crew lived on board - arrive back early Sunday morning. Edited by Frances

1 hour ago, Frances said:

A late evening departure from Liverpool would allow people to go to a football match and/or a theatre/show in Liverpool - would fill the cabins and also be allowable if the crew lived on board - arrive back early Sunday morning.

Yes, but then you lose the overnight Manxman to Heysham so to get freight, post, papers, it requires the Arrow. Is that economical? What demand would there be for a late return from Liverpool in the winter months?

Football supporters !! - I understand that like Cathedrals Liverpool boasts of two clubs - one with a new ground within walking distance of the Ferry Terminal.

Depending on the departure time a night out in Manchester would also be possible using the train - Lime street is walkable though taxis would be a fiver or so - both cities offer more varied entertainment than is generally available on Island and a footie return (even if the SPCo up the price) would be considerably less than a Liverpool hotel on a match night - their bar takings might also be considerable tho this may be problem. Edited by Frances

8 hours ago, Frances said:

Football supporters !! - I understand that like Cathedrals Liverpool boasts of two clubs - one with a new ground within walking distance of the Ferry Terminal.

Depending on the departure time a night out in Manchester would also be possible using the train - Lime street is walkable though taxis would be a fiver or so - both cities offer more varied entertainment than is generally available on Island and a footie return (even if the SPCo up the price) would be considerably less than a Liverpool hotel on a match night - their bar takings might also be considerable tho this may be problem.

For the reason JW states above this would not be possible. 

I don't think revenue from the bar or increased ticket revenue would cover the cost of having to run 2 boats. 

I agree it would be a handy thing to have. 

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

For the reason JW states above this would not be possible. 

I don't think revenue from the bar or increased ticket revenue would cover the cost of having to run 2 boats. 

I agree it would be a handy thing to have. 

We have long day trips for 8 months of the year, @Frances out 07.00 and in 19.15, allowing 8 hours ashore. So the SPCo will have figures. That 8.months covers a substantial part ( more than half ) of the football season.

If it was worth doing economically the SPCo would have explored.

It’s not just having live on board crews that has to be looked at. There’s staffing at the Liverpool Terminal and Douglas. If you’re having a departure in bound that allows for a theatre trip that will have to be 23.00. That’s an 03.00 arrival. If it’s a 15.00 kick off and 16.50-17.00 match end that’s 5 hours on shore drinking time.

As is Liverpool is staffed in blocks of 3 hours, same as Heysham, covering arrival and fairly quick departure.

And today for example @John Wright, Liverpool kick off at 12.30pm so an 0830 departure is way too late.

The fixture times are so changeable (with many games now on a Sunday), it's just not that viable. Most people I know in the office also go with their children and use the plane even in the summer. Much quicker.

Nice idea but just doesn't seem workable for many reasons, not least the risk of antisocial behaviour. Imagine today hypothetically speaking, game finishes at 1430 and the return ferry is 2300.

Edited by Capt_Mainwaring

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

don't think revenue from the bar or increased ticket revenue would cover the cost of having to run 2 boats. 

When it was on a wet lease the Arrow was crewed by Seatruck not IOMSPCO. I presume this has now changed, but does anyone know if the Arrow has a dedicated crew? Given the amount of time it spends on charter to CalMac and Condor I’m guessing it does?

Bring back the midnight crossings to Liverpool, many of us went, getting in very early and walking to centre for breakfast followed by a few drinks and bus to game which in those days was always 3pm . No requirements for prebooking then they just pushed you through turnstiles 😀

15 minutes ago, Banker said:

Bring back the midnight crossings to Liverpool, many of us went, getting in very early and walking to centre for breakfast followed by a few drinks and bus to game which in those days was always 3pm . No requirements for prebooking then they just pushed you through turnstiles 😀

This was okay when all games were 3pm. Now it’s a mismatch and you’d be struggling to make it work.

4 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

And today for example @John Wright, Liverpool kick off at 12.30pm so an 0830 departure is way too late.

The fixture times are so changeable (with many games now on a Sunday), it's just not that viable. Most people I know in the office also go with their children and use the plane even in the summer. Much quicker.

Nice idea but just doesn't seem workable for many reasons, not least the risk of antisocial behaviour. Imagine today hypothetically speaking, game finishes at 1430 and the return ferry is 2300.

The fixtures don't change once the tickets go on sale. 

There is plenty of time to book travel after you have your ticket. 

• Confused 1