Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

13 hours ago, Banker said:

Steam packet ramping up pressure on unions

Surely it’s the other way round.

SPCo has announced what it intended doing months ago. It’s not new.

The ballot for strike action is ongoing until 18/12. This is a union announcement to encourage a vote to reject the management offer.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Surely it’s the other way round.

SPCo has announced what it intended doing months ago. It’s not new.

The ballot for strike action is ongoing until 18/12. This is a union announcement to encourage a vote to reject the management offer.

Depends on your point of view 

3 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Day trip to Liverpool in the winter on 7th December 2024 (for one day only) announced which will be nice though (if there's any crew to operate it).

They want to do more of these which is why they want to have live on board.  Also the timing of the announcement right now (during the ballot), is to try and get the public to conclude live on board is a good idea.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2023 at 10:34 PM, Manxman2000 said:

This would not happen under Hamish Ross.  RIP.   But how many ferry companies do NOT operate crews living onboard.  Condor do, cal Mac do,  sienna does North Sea Ferries always did.  BCIF did. And Steam Packet did until the Ben my Chree.

The Ben my Chree has been in service for 25 years. It's not really relevant what other companies do.

If you've worked for the racket for years and all of a sudden they decide you need to live on board for a significant amount of time then I'd say you have a right to be pissed off.

• Like 6

It's not the weather but the boat that is the problem - too big + too much windage for the two known harbours it was intended for - it's also considerably too big for the winter sailings (as was the Ben) - it would be interesting to see how the fuel consumption compares with the Ben given that there are now several months of operation.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's what I was hinting at Frances!

I'm not an expert on boats or the Irish sea, I usually use Air to go back and forth but in the last ten years I have never had a boat cancelled when taking my Car. What has changed? The seas? Heysham harbour? or..... the boat design???

Maybe it's down to teething troubles, let the SP admit this, if it's climate change they should use this excuse!!!

As a casual observer of the SP performance they do seem tobe having a ''Lot of Trouble''???

Edited by Kopek