Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

39 minutes ago, Frances said:

It's not the weather but the boat that is the problem - too big + too much windage for the two known harbours it was intended for - it's also considerably too big for the winter sailings (as was the Ben) - it would be interesting to see how the fuel consumption compares with the Ben given that there are now several months of operation.

The harbours haven't changed (much, with the exception of Heysham's perennial silting problems), the weather and tides are largely seasonally predictable, the only part of the equation that has significantly changed is the size and design of the boat.

Now we all hope that we are still on build up and familiarisation in respect of its operations....but if that point has passed.....

• Like 1

Already looking like quite a few xmas trips will be getting screwed around big style...considering the rackets current form.

I'm away currently, heading back next week, but the way the forecasts are looking I can envisage 70% to 80% of trips being cancelled between tomorrow and next Saturday.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Already looking like quite a few xmas trips will be getting screwed around big style...considering the rackets current form.

I'm away currently, heading back next week, but the way the forecasts are looking I can envisage 70% to 80% of trips being cancelled between tomorrow and next Saturday.

So only 6 - 10 of 32 sailings to depart? Looks like 2 will go today so that doesn't leave many left for the rest of the week!

Edited by Capt_Mainwaring

Remember the fanfare that went along with the smashing of a bottle of bubbly against the side of publicly owned asset named the Manxman? That celebration was designed to make all residents proud of ‘our’ new state-of-the-art ferry (IOM taxpayers’ money acquired Manxman). The Government and their muckers are now squirming because those same proud residents want more info about this wonderful asset. According to the Chief Minister “hindsight is a wonderful thing when it comes to capital projects such as the Liverpool Landing Stage”…so, once again, nothing to see here, no one is accountable (and the usual claptrap about ‘learning lesson’), IMHO.  

Just to remind everyone that Kieran Hannifin (he lost to Jane Poole-Wilson and Stu Peters in the 2021 election) was in favour of a “public consultation for recreational use of cannabis”. I am beginning to believe that being high is the only strategy that will allow the GMP to forget about the Government’s growing list of expensive screw-ups, i.e., when one is in a euphoric delirium no one asks any uncomfortable questions or raises any FOI requests.

I’m not sure that we can still count on there always being a boat in the morning (or flights), but that there will soon be dozens more HR staff keeping office chairs warm. Happy days! 

Edited by code99
  • Like 2

The plebs will rise up …………… eventually. Unfortunately unlike Guernsey, our pathetic politicos won’t do anything regarding CM Cannan. Open goal after open goal, and nothing sticks. 

15 minutes ago, WTF said:

i think the island must be some sort of 'trueman show' on steroids with the outside world paying a subscription to our puppet masters in westminster  so the rest of the world can see just how far plebs can be pushed before they rise up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

The plebs will rise up …………… eventually. Unfortunately unlike Guernsey, our pathetic politicos won’t do anything regarding CM Cannan. Open goal after open goal, and nothing sticks. 

It's not just Cannan. There's a lot of people from the last 20 years who need to be held to account. Unfortunately, we don't seem to be able to do it in the present, let alone retrospectively.

• Like 2

Update

I notice recently, and during construction,  the Steam Packet were boasting that Manxman is more fuel efficient and less polluting, and hence Greener than the Ben my Chree .

My sources tell me those are weasel words, if not downright lies.. 

While it maybe  true that power output obtained per unit of fuel is higher, and specific emissions are lower per unit, due to advances in technology and cleaner fuel, the figures need more scrutiny, and can be presented more honestly.

Actual consumption per day for Manxman is 30 ton whilst the Ben my Chree is 21.5 ton. So Manxman is actually 40% less fuel efficient.

The specific gains per unit are far outweighed by the total volumes used. 

Fuel is currently in the region of £800 per ton, so over a year Manxman will burn through an extra 3.4 million litres  costing an extra £2.4 million.

Wonder if the Steam Packet will try and myth bust this fact?

Also the vaunted battery system, which is supposed to supply 3hrs of use in Port can barely supply one.

There are 2 banks of batteries, 1 of which doesn’t work; and the manufacturer has since withdrawn from the marine sector so further complications may br due down the line there, for sure.

Finally the actual fuel consumption will rise sharply once Manxman is allowed to operate on full speed. She is currently limited to just over 17 knots,  due to excessive vibration above that speed, which is thought to arise from resonance in one of her electric propulsion motors which can’t  be fixed anytime soon.

Edited by Kipper99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1