Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

2 minutes ago, Daytripper said:

It’s very funny how an online bully like Banker who clearly has major mental health issues seems to think that making accusations against any other poster they have a grudge against might in some way deflect from their own clear worrying mental health issues and abusive personality. 

@Amadeus @Albert Tatlock a Cuey by any other name. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Not another abusive post 😡 these tit for tat silly messages are bad enough without others joining in.     The forum is being dragged down by the immaturity of a few posters I know we can all get on our high horses when we are in disagreement with something but this abuse is getting beyond a joke.   Perhaps in the New Year it will get more peaceful  🤣  or not ?

• Thanks 5

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I’ve arrived in Spain for Christmas.

Had my first trip on the Manxman on Tuesday evening followed by 2 nights on Brittany Ferries MV Salamanca from Portsmouth to Santander.

Why only now for my first trip? Well, I was away all October and didn’t travel by ferry in November.

MX is smart, it sailed on time, arrived on time, disembarkation was fast. I was in my Lancaster hotel by midnight.

It was deserted. The accessible parking spaces next to the lift on deck 5 are in the bow. My lounge was at the stern on deck 5. I couldn’t have made that without using a wheelchair. On the Ben and Manannan the distance is just achievable.

The spaces are right in front of the fans that are supposed to ventilate the car decks. They blow very strongly. It was a cold night and it made getting my chair out of the car very difficult.

There are water tight/fire doors protecting the lift shafts and stairwells. That’s good. They are electrically operated and slow. They could be open during loading and unloading. They weren’t. Created a bottleneck.

Some of the push pad controls are plastic. Some have clearly been installed as an afterthought, with cheap surface mounted trunking. Looks cheap. Mainly some of them are wrongly placed. They’re so far from the door that by the time you’ve pushed, turned around, got to the door, it’s already closing.

Lifts are great, as is the ability to move between decks at sea. However on deck 8 all the doors along the corridor were closed and difficult to open. There are systems where they are held open electronically and only close when required. They’re a fail for chair users, those using sticks or crutches, or with young kids in tow.

Dislike the location of exec lounge, side rear. Prefer to be at front. It’s not cheap. £500 a year for a couple.

Again the door access by touch pad key card is too far from the door itself. It’s a huge lounge. Nicely decorated. Lots of USB and power points.

The door on the accessible loo takes 40 seconds to close. Seems like a lifetime if your need is urgent. Worse, on exiting, the door blocks the corridor, it opens outward rather than slides. So a long wait to go the other way.

very little unreserved seating. Mainly paid for, reserved, lounges. Upselling on a grand scale. I couldn’t open the doors to the Eatery restaurant or bar area on my own. The cafeteria was closed.

Shop ok. But no dropped area on counter for wheelchair users. Oh, the shop doors were kept open.

Turning in Heysham was laboriously slow, but plenty of space. Juddering vibration was bad.

Brittany Ferries have had similar issues with all three of their e-flexers, but all seemed resolved on Salamanca.

Waiting at Portsmouth, I arrived very early, 2 condor Channel Island ferries arrived and departed. Both were late in and out. Two BF ferries arrived, both late, one from France and one from Spain, and three went out, St Malo, Caen, Santander. All late. Mine by over an hour.

Port Security heightened. They were pulling for random inspection about 15% of all cars, motorhomes and light vans.

Great review. Looking forward to what you think about the Salamanca. Seems to get bad reviews. 

3 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Not another abusive post 😡 these tit for tat silly messages are bad enough without others joining in.     The forum is being dragged down by the immaturity of a few posters I know we can all get on our high horses when we are in disagreement with something but this abuse is getting beyond a joke.   Perhaps in the New Year it will get more peaceful  🤣  or not ?

Don't worry about it. 

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Looking OK up to 6am Wednesday currently...after that currently looks like forget it till Saturday.

is there something wrong with manxman they are not telling us about ?, hardly a breath of wind since after lunch time  today  and they are  just getting around to organising a sailing  tonight , 

I hope  the island will not be let down running up to the Christmas break  everything  now  relies on the reliability of the steam packet   to keep the supermarkets   and everyone else  requiring  a regular delivery of goods  ,  and all those passengers hoping to get home or visit family in the UK , 

39 minutes ago, Omobono said:

is there something wrong with manxman they are not telling us about ?, hardly a breath of wind since after lunch time  today  and they are  just getting around to organising a sailing  tonight , 

I hope  the island will not be let down running up to the Christmas break  everything  now  relies on the reliability of the steam packet   to keep the supermarkets   and everyone else  requiring  a regular delivery of goods  ,  and all those passengers hoping to get home or visit family in the UK , 

What, it was bloody windy this afternoon not sure exact t8me it died down but anyway sailing would be fitting in with tides and allocated times for unloading/loading at heysham

• Like 1