Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

3 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

There's only one way that this will be sorted and that is by throwing an awful lot of money at it. 

76 days away from family all of a sudden won't likely be simply sorted by money IMO.

Though one or two I know who are married would probably pay the racket for the 76 extra away days 😉

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The threat of industrial action shouldn't be treated lightly. If it runs on like the rail strikes over here it could cripple the Island. Imagine a disrupted TT? 

There's only one way that this will be sorted and that is by throwing an awful lot of money at it. 

Or bringing officers in on contract as it’s only the officers not the crew who have apparently settled, also only 10% of total seafaring staff live on island 

6 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Late getting cars on Manxman tonight...they're (rightly) concentrating on getting as much freight on as possible it seems.

Weather's looking proper windy from today eve till xmas eve now. I hope not too many people get their hols spoiled...but I fear it's inevitable for many.

Might be a boost for Xmas eve retail as all the online shopping won’t be here with the new mail regime. 

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Redundancy packages aren’t cheap. But that’s ultimately how this dispute, like all maritime disputes, will be sorted.

If you don’t like the terms there are plenty of people in the world who do.

Sea Containers, previously of this parish, were the trailblazers for it.

16 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Bus drivers aren’t required to live on their buses, nor airline crew on aeroplanes. Why should IOMSPCo crew be treated differently.?

You cant live on a plane. There is no need to live on a bus

Air crew are often accommodated close to airports whether they like it or not, but obviously not all the time.

17 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Why should IOMSPCo crew be treated differently.?

Mezeron crew live on the Silver River on a similar shift pattern to what’s proposed for the Steam Packet. It was *grim* for them during Covid, but they got on with it without whining. Unlike the Steam Packet.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Late getting cars on Manxman tonight...they're (rightly) concentrating on getting as much freight on as possible it seems.

Weather's looking proper windy from today eve till xmas eve now. I hope not too many people get their hols spoiled...but I fear it's inevitable for many.

Its a worry. There is going to be pressure on the Master to sail if its within the safety limits. Normally he/she would have the discretion to cancel a sailing knowing that it was going to be OK tomorrow. Its not. The forecast looks like sailings could go at winds not yet experienced by the manxman

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Air crew are often accommodated close to airports whether they like it or not, but obviously not all the time.

But horse tram drivers aren’t required to sleep on a bed of straw in the stables and eat carrots.

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I know of crew who are looking forward to living on the boat because the onshore accommodation provided by the Packet is so appalling.

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I know of crew who are looking forward to living on the boat because the onshore accommodation provided by the Packet is so appalling.

Yeah, the flats they put the non-IOM crew in are grim, but won’t be cheap despite their grimness. That’ll be another incentive for the company to change things.

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

76 days away from family all of a sudden won't likely be simply sorted by money IMO.

Though one or two I know who are married would probably pay the racket for the 76 extra away days 😉

Brian Thompson has publicly said that they are prepared to discuss individual cases.