Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

41 minutes ago, woolley said:

It would be meaningless because it takes in a period of commissioning for the new vessel during which more stringent than normal operational limits have applied. The same period next year would give a more informative comparison.

And just comparing one year would be statistically meaningless, in any event, whether it was a commissioning year or any other. 

I remember my first year back from University there were 3 consecutive days, plus a Sunday ( no SPCo sailings on Sunday in Winter-remember that ) in February 1979 when neither Manx Line nor the Lady nor Queen side loaders sailed.

Before breakwater extension. Exceptional period. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kopek said:

.... and if it doesn't come up to scratch ever, what then??? Another white Elephant for us? Of course, we'll fire all those involved in the commissioning but we're still left with a boat not quite up to scratch!

I know, Woolley that you are a bit of an apologist for the SP and that's probably good to have an alternative view because the SP are hardly overloading us with info, are they?

I'm really not. I have already made the point that the SP should be advising us about the status of the commissioning restrictions on Manxman's operations. What constitutes not coming up to scratch though? Not simply giving credence to a load of moaning idiots on social media. I've just tried to counter some of the more outrageous ones.

I don't see her becoming a white elephant. All of the comment about her not being fit for the Irish Sea is quite laughable because she is steady as a rock out there in bad weather. Then the risible comment from Frances about the vibration while turning in harbour on bow thrusters which is exactly the same for any vessel. And now we have yet more whining at the prospect of her not sailing during 50/60mph storms this week, when the Ben certainly wouldn't have sailed either.

The new situation has to have a chance to settle down over a period. The operational restrictions on the ship need to be lifted, the channels dredged, the KE Pier works completed, then we'll know what we are dealing with in terms of resilience. If what we are dealing with turns out to be an almighty cock up, I can assure you I won't be defending it.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

And just comparing one year would be statistically meaningless, in any event, whether it was a commissioning year or any other. 

I remember my first year back from University there were 3 consecutive days, plus a Sunday ( no SPCo sailings on Sunday in Winter-remember that ) in February 1979 when neither Manx Line nor the Lady nor Queen side loaders sailed.

Before breakwater extension. Exceptional period. 

Precisely, although the wolves already baying for blood would not want to hear it.

28 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

We've seen even this week people saying pilot boat was going out to meet the vessel on approach to Heysham. The little pilot boat won't be going out in severe gales to meet the Maxnman, which will undoubtedly lead to cancellations.

The Manxman doesn't always take on a pilot.

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I note that on Thursday but not so much tomorrow. I reckon the Ben would have sailed overnight tonight and tomorrow return but then not sailed Thursday night

image.thumb.png.75f6d540c7a5fdbc8dee3bafc2ad1926.png

It would be a borderline decision for the Ben, but so is Manxman as things stand. I was on a recent sailing that was subject to cancellation but actually sailed on a decision made that same morning. Rough sea but very steady ship.

19 minutes ago, woolley said:

It would be a borderline decision for the Ben, but so is Manxman as things stand. I was on a recent sailing that was subject to cancellation but actually sailed on a decision made that same morning. Rough sea but very steady ship.

Yes. Its borderline and the Master has the discretion. However with 3 days looming that are worse....There is going to be some pressure on that decision. 

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Nautilus Union IoMSPco members taking industrial action short of strike after 6 pm on the 27 December 2023. No doubt no sailing and more empty shelves

Details here , sounds like boats will sail but maybe delays 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/steam-packet-workers-to-take-action-before-new-years-eve/

however tonight sailings cancelled!

Edited by Banker

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Details here , sounds like boats will sail but maybe delays 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/steam-packet-workers-to-take-action-before-new-years-eve/

however tonight sailings cancelled!

Tonight cancelled due to 30 to 40mph winds. Tomorrow going ahead for to 30 to 40 mph winds. 

Please use the confused emoji on this occasion. 🤔

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Tonight cancelled due to 30 to 40mph winds. Tomorrow going ahead for to 30 to 40 mph winds. 

Please use the confused emoji on this occasion. 🤔

HD, it’s been said on here, repeatedly, it’s not the wind and waves at sea that are the issue. It’s the winds and silt and space when turning in harbour.

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

HD, it’s been said on here, repeatedly, it’s not the wind and waves at sea that are the issue. It’s the winds and silt and space when turning in harbour.

Accepted. But the winds and silt and space are the same only different being they are 12 hours apart are they not? 

• Like 1