Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

1 minute ago, Omobono said:

its time the management learned exactly what is written in the user agreement , some apects being very conveniently ignored 

Indeed. If they do a fire and rehire they’ve a very limited pool to recruit from, if some don’t accept the offer of new terms.

5 hours ago, code99 said:

The P&O Chairman/ MD admitted they had broken the law

They broke the law because they didn’t consult with the staff before making them all redundant. The redundancy was perfectly lawful.

In many ways the P&O approach was more honest- “this is what we’ve decided, we’re not changing our mind, we’re not wasting your time consulting on something we’ll do anyway, here’s a cheque, piss off”. “Consultations” are rarely anything more than a box-ticking exercise anyway.

4 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

It wouldn’t have. When I moved here the boat was cancelled for four days on the trot due to weather very similar to what we have this week. Made moving a lot of fun.

Exactly but not what the Facebook warriors think as basically accusing Thompson of lying etc etc!!

8 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Manxman departed at 8.30. What's the odds she'll fail to dock at Heysham and come back.

Fingers crossed they prove me wrong and all will go to plan.

Well. I was very happy to hear it docked fine at lunchtime in Heysham and everyone got off on time. Still don't know why the night one didn't go as it was definitely not as windy last night as it was today. 

I know a few who have already cancelled now as no chance of any sailings next few days. Thats people who were travelling off island to visit family but now can Christmas at home. Disappointed but not devastated. It's the people that were returning home for Christmas either direction I feel sorry for as they are knackered. 

I see the SPCO are not going to brave tonight, which is no surprise as the conditions are worse. I don't think in this  instance the Ben would have gone either. It would def have gone last night. 

Edited by Happier diner

I suggested earlier that the night crossing would have had less water in Heysham port around low tide.

I also suggested that the IoMSPCo could publish a list of the cancelled and retimed sailings in previous years - I've been doing a monthly return every month since 2008 (initially because of an invalid close friend) and because of possible need for an unplanned return booked from the UK end typically 10-12 days prior to sailing thus without sight of weather forecasts - I can't recall any occasion prior to this period that I have had to change a ticket in outward direction (ie from UK), tho sometimes the crossing was 'interesting'! - I did a few times alter the crossing back from Island based on weather. But the repeated cancellations + retimings at short notice are a new feature brought on by the new boat.

7 minutes ago, Frances said:

I suggested earlier that the night crossing would have had less water in Heysham port around low tide.

I also suggested that the IoMSPCo could publish a list of the cancelled and retimed sailings in previous years - I've been doing a monthly return every month since 2008 (initially because of an invalid close friend) and because of possible need for an unplanned return booked from the UK end typically 10-12 days prior to sailing thus without sight of weather forecasts - I can't recall any occasion prior to this period that I have had to change a ticket in outward direction (ie from UK), tho sometimes the crossing was 'interesting'! - I did a few times alter the crossing back from Island based on weather. But the repeated cancellations + retimings at short notice are a new feature brought on by the new boat.

For goodness sake, if you don't like sailing on the MXM then fly. 🙄

• Like 2