Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

16 minutes ago, Frances said:

I suggested earlier that the night crossing would have had less water in Heysham port around low tide.

With only 12 hours difference in time? That can only have been marginally and they could have shifted the time 30 mins to allow for that.

Again I am only surmising but still to be convinced. 

3 hours ago, Banker said:

But the union leader sound’s just as bad , bit like the railways guy 

Not from what heard of him he doesn't. As far as I can see his members have every right to be aggrieved, they've been threatened with fire and rehire unless they agree to fundamental changes to their working patterns and contract of employment. If my employer tried that with me I would definitely not be happy, how about you?

Lets not forget many of those staff already work long, often unsociable hours in often difficult conditions for very modest pay.

Let's also not forget that despite them continuing to work through the pandemic despite the risk to themselves and their families, the government happily (and entirely incorrectly) threw them under the bus when the second wave of Covid arrived.

Despite this, the management still claim their threat to fire and rehire these people is to increase resilience and reduce cancelled sailings.They have yet to provide any evidence or explanation for this claim. Their recent sailing record would suggest it's highly unlikely.

Above all else, the workers have agreed to go to arbitration, management have refused and seem to believe publicly slagging off staff and their union is the best way forward.

The racket would appear to treat their staff with the same disdain as their customers. I hope the workers strike, regardless of the disruption to myself and others, it's what the company deserve.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

With only 12 hours difference in time? That can only have been marginally and they could have shifted the time 30 mins to allow for that.

Again I am only surmising but still to be convinced. 

You’re leaving out of consideration tide range and height on the two days. For whatever reason the difference for the low tides is a whopping 60cm.

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Exactly but not what the Facebook warriors think as basically accusing Thompson of lying etc etc!!

Always the way. When the Ben was bought it was a sack of shite, really uncomfortable, never worked, bounced around like a cork, not like the boats back in the day that went out in a force ten and did the crossing in three hours.

And now the Ben has been replaced it’s now the best boat the island’s ever had, never missed a sailing, rode like a dream in all weather.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, monasqueen said:

No worries. Arrow has gone out. There should be newspapers, butties, and Christmas cards and parcels on the Island tomorrow.

Not coming back until FRIDAY as mentioned in above report so no newspapers, parcels etc

Edited by Banker

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Not coming back until FRIDAY as mentioned in above report so no newspapers, parcels etc

The Arrow crew always used to live on board when it was a Seatruck boat which was leased to us.

I wonder if it’s still the case? Certainly seems to be helping with the Arrow’s flexibility…

1 minute ago, Ringy Rose said:

The Arrow crew always used to live on board when it was a Seatruck boat which was leased to us.

I wonder if it’s still the case? Certainly seems to be helping with the Arrow’s flexibility…

Don’t know but I’m sure someone will but as yo7 say seems to be flexible as they certainly won’t be putting on new crew when they overnight for maybe 2 nights 

12 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

...And now the Ben has been replaced it’s now the best boat the island’s ever had, never missed a sailing, rode like a dream in all weather.

it certainly didn't ride like a dream - could bounce + thud its way across - but, and a big but, it ran under most circumstances which to me was important - the space under the corner table was quite comfortable in a force 8 with the table leg to hold onto, just make sure there was nothing that could slide off the table (tho these sailings were thankfully not the norm)

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Yes that's because if they get stuck in Heysham they have to find them accommodation and pay overtime I guess. 

If they lived on board doesn't matter if they are in Douglas or Heysham. That means we get fewer sailings cancelled but crap for the crew. 

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

You’re leaving out of consideration tide range and height on the two days. For whatever reason the difference for the low tides is a whopping 60cm.

Yeah but why can't they alter the times slightly. If tides only shift by 25 mins each day then surely that's only 12.5mins for 12 hours. 

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/tutorial_tides/tides05_lunarday.html#:~:text=High tides occur 12 hours,24 hours and 50 minutes.

Edited by Happier diner

12 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes that's because if they get stuck in Heysham they have to find them accommodation and pay overtime I guess. 

If they lived on board doesn't matter if they are in Douglas or Heysham. That means we get fewer sailings cancelled but crap for the crew. 

How many got cancelled due to crew issues ?