Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

45 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yeah but why can't they alter the times slightly. If tides only shift by 25 mins each day then surely that's only 12.5mins for 12 hours. 

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/tutorial_tides/tides05_lunarday.html#:~:text=High tides occur 12 hours,24 hours and 50 minutes.

It’s about an hour each day, so 25 or 30 mins per 12 hours. But you’re still ignoring the fact that the height of water above datum doesn’t just change with the tide on a regular cycle, every day. The depth of water also depends on weather, wind, atmospheric pressure and phase of the moon. 

In simple terms, the depth of water at low tide varies daily. 

6 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Listening to Brian Thomson on the radio this morning, I think there's little wonder this dispute is still dragging on.

He came across as very arrogant and dictatorial. Hi main argument seems to be that if you decide to be a seafarer then you should expect to live on board. Presumably despite the fact that you may have been a seafarer for many years and having a contract of employment that states the opposite.

He also went on to say that the Racket doesn't expect workers to go over and above their contact so the work to rule won't make much difference, but then goes on to say he can't guarantee sailings won't be cancelled as a result, not sure which is true.

He doesn't seem to have many leadership qualities to me.

I too heard him on the radio this morning. Seemed quite an unpleasant  piece of work.
Chillingly reminiscent of the union bashers in power operating in the Thatcher era.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes that's because if they get stuck in Heysham they have to find them accommodation and pay overtime I guess. 

If they lived on board doesn't matter if they are in Douglas or Heysham. That means we get fewer sailings cancelled but crap for the crew. 

That so misses the point.

There are two crews needed for 24 hour operation, 4 sailings. 

At the moment one is on board, the other ashore.

If it gets stuck in Heysham there’s enough space for the onboard crew to bed down, but they then can’t sail again until a minimum of 12 hours have elapsed. I’m not sure if that’s from, let’s say 23.59, or from 06.00 when their duty would normally have ended.

The hope, with a second crew permanently on board is that they can go at any time on day 2 or 3.

As they’ve got to try and get back to the standard timetable, not just for passengers, but for freight logistics, I just don’t see they’ll actually squeeze any more sailings in.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That so misses the point.

There are two crews needed for 24 hour operation, 4 sailings. 

At the moment one is on board, the other ashore.

If it gets stuck in Heysham there’s enough space for the onboard crew to bed down, but they then can’t sail again until a minimum of 12 hours have elapsed. I’m not sure if that’s from, let’s say 23.59, or from 06.00 when their duty would normally have ended.

The hope, with a second crew permanently on board is that they can go at any time on day 2 or 3.

As they’ve got to try and get back to the standard timetable, not just for passengers, but for freight logistics, I just don’t see they’ll actually squeeze any more sailings in.

I see what you mean. 

13 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s about an hour each day, so 25 or 30 mins per 12 hours. But you’re still ignoring the fact that the height of water above datum doesn’t just change with the tide on a regular cycle, every day. The depth of water also depends on weather, wind, atmospheric pressure and phase of the moon. 

In simple terms, the depth of water at low tide varies daily. 

I'm sorry. I don't think for one minute that's the reason it didn't sail. 

I respect your intelligence but that just does not add up. 

They could have sailed at a different time. Your explanation would mean they could never get 4 sailings in per day. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'm sorry. I don't think for one minute that's the reason it didn't sail. 

I respect your intelligence but that just does not add up. 

They could have sailed at a different time. Your explanation would mean they could never get 4 sailings in per day. 

No, it doesn’t. It’s extremes, monthly spring tides, very low pressure, winds blowing the wrong direction, as well as the regular tide cycle.