Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No, it doesn’t. It’s extremes, monthly spring tides, very low pressure, winds blowing the wrong direction, as well as the regular tide cycle.

Yeah I get that. But yesterday all those things were the same. And it sailed on one occasion and not the other. I'm not buying it. 

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yeah I get that. But yesterday all those things were the same. And it sailed on one occasion and not the other. I'm not buying it. 

No, they weren’t. There was a 60cm difference in water depth above datum between the two. 

That’s a big difference in a silted harbour, impacts on ability to turn around.

On the occasion she didn’t sail low tide at Heysham 22:59 2.08m above datum, the following day at  11:22 low tide at Heysham  was 2.66m above datum.

Does that make some sense?

• Like 1

Low/high tides change every day and follow a well defined and accurate sine curve. Most folk working or at leisure at sea will have a good year or so in advance tide prediction table. Variable atmospheric conditions can add/deduct up to a metre or so either way.

42 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No, they weren’t. There was a 60cm difference in water depth above datum between the two. 

That’s a big difference in a silted harbour, impacts on ability to turn around.

On the occasion she didn’t sail low tide at Heysham 22:59 2.08m above datum, the following day at  11:22 low tide at Heysham  was 2.66m above datum.

Does that make some sense?

It does, but why couldn't they just delay the sailing an hour and then it wouldn't be low tide anymore. Like @Barlow says these things are totally predictable.

I'm sorry if I am being thick..

3 hours ago, Frances said:

it certainly didn't ride like a dream - could bounce + thud its way across - but, and a big but, it ran under most circumstances which to me was important - the space under the corner table was quite comfortable in a force 8 with the table leg to hold onto, just make sure there was nothing that could slide off the table (tho these sailings were thankfully not the norm)

UNDER the table holding onto the leg? Was that in the bar?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, woolley said:

UNDER the table holding onto the leg? Was that in the bar?

For some people there is only one place to be on boat and that is in the good ol' bar. When I was a student and for a few years after, that was the only place I went. Anyone not in the bar on the Steam Packet just wasn't worth knowing. That said, I haven't been in the bar on the boat for a good 30 years. I must try it again sometime.