Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

So, all the officers have been given their 90 day notice of firing.

Management can’t even use their names, with a mail merge. How dehumanising.

“Dear Officer”

Letter also seems to be in breach of the union recognition agreement. Management will mediate/negotiate with individuals. Total arrogance.

Then management suggest the officers ( sacked just before Christmas ) should do them a favour and let them know what they’re going to do asap so management can make alternative arrangements.

If I was in the union, even if all members decided to accept rehire, I wouldn’t be telling them until 23.59 on the very last day. 

IMG_5210.jpeg

IMG_5211.jpeg

IMG_5212.jpeg

IMG_5213.jpeg

• Like 2

Is that 20 weeks work in 52 then? 

It's unfortunate that proposed changes may not work for some people's circumstances, but it definitely sounds a reasonable offer and if LOB is a key part of their operations going forward then unfortunately for some, they may have to seek alternative employment if they're unable/unwilling to change.

13 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Is that 20 weeks work in 52 then? 

It’s 20 weeks at 84 hours per week working.

Which is exactly the same as 48 weeks of 35 hours, but has the disadvantage of not being able to go home for another 1680 hours 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Which is exactly the same as 48 weeks of 35 hours, but has the disadvantage of not being able to go home for another 1680 hours 

Good to have that context. Shows you how absurd it is. 

Along with your past posts querying how it will achieve any operational benefit 

From Facebook 

If you support or Steam Packet workers who help keep our Island a float, please join in on Wednesday 27th December 12-4 to protest of the new decisions made by the Isle of Man Steam Packet many staff will be losing their jobs after years of service and right before Christmas!

We are also calling for the CEO and MD to resign with immediate effect. 

The planned location is next to the traffic lights opposite the Suntera Global offices

30 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Exactly this. The offer is deliberately spun by the management to try and win over public opinion. It's disengenuos to say the least.

I read somewhere else (MR website I think) they'd said the average wage for an officer before overtime and benefits was £65,000.

They must take us for fools. I have no idea what their staff get paid, I don't need to. I can guarantee though that that is a misleading statistic and if you were to take the most representative average for the union members who will strike is nothing like that.

What is for certain is the management have and continue to handle this dispute extremely badly. You don't need to know much about leadership to know that if most of the people working for you are prepared to strike , then you are not doing it very well. Especially when it could easily have been settled with arbitration weeks ago.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

They must take us for fools. I have no idea what their staff get paid, I don't need to. I can guarantee though that that is a misleading statistic and if you were to take the most representative average for the union members who will strike is nothing like that.

Don’t worry Brian and his CFO will have done all the maths thoroughly. 

305317A6-7C64-43A9-AF5B-7878E5C4E341.jpeg

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News
  • Haha 1