Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

10 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Or how suitable is the harbour? I see Stena have just signed a 77 year agreement with Peel for the use of Heysham, let's hope that it's a catalyst for Peel to extract their digit and indulge in some maintenance to include regular, proactive rather than reactive dredging.

Peel Ports are on the same level as IOMG.... they do projects and let someone else worry about maintenance!

• Like 1

The boat left abt 30min after low tide - the reported low water seems to be abt the average low tide, some in the week have been lower others somewhat more - I thought Manxman drew more water than the Ben - seems like this is a situation where inches do matter.

39 minutes ago, Frances said:

The boat left abt 30min after low tide - the reported low water seems to be abt the average low tide, some in the week have been lower others somewhat more - I thought Manxman drew more water than the Ben - seems like this is a situation where inches do matter.

It's bound to draw a greater volume of water as its bigger. The question is how deep does in go into the water. The draught is how deep, the displacement is the volume AFAIK

Edited by Happier diner

37 minutes ago, Frances said:

High and low pressure areas can impact tides too. As well as bay shapes etc. etc.

Complex...which is why it's the Captain's decision.

27 minutes ago, WTF said:

i thought JW stated a few hundred pages back that there was about a foot difference

I did

9 minutes ago, finlo said:

It was me, Ben 5m Manxman 5.3m.

Both of us did.

Problem is, it’s not absolute. Especially if there’s more mud/silt/sand.