Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Is that the max or do they take on ballast to get to that every time.

Don't quote me but I would imagine they would ballast it down to that for stability if it was sailing light.

Although if that was the case it would be able to discharge the ballast in port to give it more leeway?

11 minutes ago, finlo said:

Don't quote me but I would imagine they would ballast it down to that for stability if it was sailing light.

Although if that was the case it would be able to discharge the ballast in port to give it more leeway?

Great minds think alike. I suppose though if it was fully loaded there may not be any ballast on board.

I confessI learnt all my seamanship from the Onedin line. 

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The silt is full of PCBs

That doesn't counter my position above tho' does it?

It could be that the best solution would be to leave the PCB deposits where they are in the upper Harbour and just keep the lower Harbour free for commercial use?

May be the end of the Marina but there are others?

At some time in the future, when we are flush with money, we could address the source of the PCBs up Rushen Mines or maybe we might be 'required' to do so but to keep Peel Marina operating? I don't think so!

• Like 1

if you look above Peel marina there is a shingle bank building up by the former Manx marine  it must be approaching 1000+ tonnes   just imagine how much has been flushed into the marina ,  why they didn't include a spill way  to take  river water plus  the deposits away or silt traps similar to Douglas harbour I don't know , rather spend another £7 million and bring a dredging company from the UK , incidently anyone know what happened to the suction dredger the DOI bought  at great cost  ?    that was going to be used on a regular basis in Peel  last I heard it was hidden at Jurby somewhere 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

That doesn't counter my position above tho' does it?

It could be that the best solution would be to leave the PCB deposits where they are in the upper Harbour and just keep the lower Harbour free for commercial use?

May be the end of the Marina but there are others?

At some time in the future, when we are flush with money, we could address the source of the PCBs up Rushen Mines or maybe we might be 'required' to do so but to keep Peel Marina operating? I don't think so!

FFS, this pisshead stood for election, he'd have fitted in just fine with Wilde.

This thread is about Heysham and its owner Peel keeping on top of necessary maintenance.

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

FFS, this pisshead stood for election, he'd have fitted in just fine with Wilde.

This thread is about Heysham and its owner Peel keeping on top of necessary maintenance.

To be fair to Kopek I'm not sure if all his 'confusions' are entirely serious or whether he's just winding people up by pretending to misunderstand things.

(Incidentally the Peel in Peel Group and its predecessors has nothing to do with the Isle of Man, it's named after Peel Tower near Bury,  the site of some of the property group's early purchases).

• Thanks 1