Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

What they need is a big song and dance about having another boat, that takes freight, leaving the Ben to handle passengers and the millions of coaches when the not so fast craft cannot run.

They also need to speak to the seles man who sold them a boat, that needed extensive conversion, was unsuitable for the Irish Sea and would have half a million delivery mines on it before it could even be converted.

I love the bit on the announcements on the boat, the largest passenger ferry if it's type operating in the Irish Sea. Presumably because others knew running one of those across that stretch of water would lead to all sorts of problems.

• Like 1

I think it's unfair to blame the boat, it's not a breakdown in the boat, it's external damage so blame all the fishing gear floating about.

Maybe the harbours need to get a minesweeper or erect anti-submarine nets across the tide rip to leave a clear entrance channel.

How would you feel if someone kept slashing your car tyres every time you went out in the car, you can't blame the driver, or car maker, or even the tyre maker, so stop kicking them when they are down, you're like a load of drunken thugs on a night out

/flack jacket on

• Like 2

Quote :- How would you feel if someone kept slashing your car tyres every time you went out in the car, you can't blame the driver, or car maker, or even the tyre maker

What I would do is rapidly reach the conclusion that I had the wrong tyres on my car or that I had a car that could not be fitted with tyres that would be resistant to being slashed.

If I did not then as the driver I would be to blame, the tyres that I had bought were not fit for purpose, and I had bought the wrong car because it could not be fitted with the requisite tyres.

So yes, blame can be apportioned, first to the boat owner, then to the form of boat, and if both were demonstrably blame free, the 'tyres'.

There comes a point when a thing is plainly not fit for purpose.

Quote :- How would you feel if someone kept slashing your car tyres every time you went out in the car, you can't blame the driver, or car maker, or even the tyre maker

What I would do is rapidly reach the conclusion that I had the wrong tyres on my car or that I had a car that could not be fitted with tyres that would be resistant to being slashed.

If I did not then as the driver I would be to blame, the tyres that I had bought were not fit for purpose, and I had bought the wrong car because it could not be fitted with the requisite tyres.

So yes, blame can be apportioned, first to the boat owner, then to the form of boat, and if both were demonstrably blame free, the 'tyres'.

but you'd never blame the real culprit with the knife ?

The problem I have with the racket is, I don't believe the press releases about the reason for the problem any more. They have blamed fishing gear so many times in the past, when I know for a fact from first hand knowledge that its not fishing gear, that now I can't believe them.

• Like 5

The problem I have with the racket is, I don't believe the press releases about the reason for the problem any more. They have blamed fishing gear so many times in the past, when I know for a fact from first hand knowledge that its not fishing gear, that now I can't believe them.

yeh, we know all that, and nobody has ever walked on the moon either :lol:

yeh, we know all that, and nobody has ever walked on the moon either laugh.png

It appears that you are questioning my first hand knowledge of this?

• Like 1

We need Stena Line or P&O. Stream Packet have had their day

Stena and p&o are sorted with decent routes on the irish sea and the English channel! This would be a Mickey mouse operation to them plus I think dealing with the iom government would put them off aswell! But something needs to be done and fast! Sure the user agreement between the sp and the government is sorted already

I was chatting to an engineer/mechanic whom I know well and he was saying the engines on the mannanin are fcuked and have been for along time, but he's not complaining as it's extra money for him working round the clock

• Like 1

Quote :- How would you feel if someone kept slashing your car tyres every time you went out in the car, you can't blame the driver, or car maker, or even the tyre maker .

but you'd never blame the real culprit with the knife ?

If there were an indeterminate number of culprits I would concern myself with ensuring that what I was doing would be immune to what they did.

Look, the boat is simply unfit for purpose.