Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

Yet, in his game of brinksmanship with nautilus he misjudged so badly that he focussed the hatred of everyone on the island against the SPCo management ( I know, excluding you ).

Hatred of everyone on the Island excluding me? Really? Are you sure? The man is embroiled in an industrial dispute. He isn't manoeuvring to take over the Island in a military coup, so calm down. This is pushing the limits of hyperbole even by your haughty standards, and it's as inaccurate as your earlier dogged assertion in the thread that we've had year round twice a day passenger services to Heysham continuously since 1978 (instead of 1998 in reality).

If I was the only person not feeling hatred for the SPCo management, or anybody for that matter, I would be rather proud, but I'm sure I'm not. I'm not even cheerleading for the man, by the way. All I did was to try to explain the practical flexibilities that the LOB model was aiming for when others including yourself said they couldn't see the advantages, and I commented that it seemed like a laudable aim to offer the best possible service to the Island. I still think it does, although if the same result can be achieved in a form that will bring a settlement then even better.

I wonder, as an aside, if the increased resilience from LOB would merely counter decreased resilience from windage on the Manxman and other factors. This would go some way to explaining the imperative of getting this change through at all costs.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I think MIRS do have (or had) their own arbitrator for disputes, used to be a chap whose name escapes me, when he retired a couple or more years back his lady deputy took over.

Are you referring to Damian Warburton and Nicola Batey ?

7 minutes ago, newaccount said:

Are you referring to Damian Warburton and Nicola Batey ?

No, if they're current I'm thinking of long before them.

3 hours ago, woolley said:

I wonder, as an aside, if the increased resilience from LOB would merely counter decreased resilience from windage on the Manxman and other factors. This would go some way to explaining the imperative of getting this change through at all costs.

But this in itself would suggest that there is a problem in the spec and procuring of the boat for the intended service?

Best keep this quiet and try and blame it on a bolshie crew then...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

But this in itself would suggest that there is a problem in the spec and procuring of the boat for the intended service?

Best keep this quiet and try and blame it on a bolshie crew then...

Not necessarily. Always a compromise as with any business buying decision, maybe it's worth losing a handful of winter sailings for double summer pax capacity & more cabins etc

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Not necessarily. Always a compromise as with any business buying decision, maybe it's worth losing a handful of winter sailings for double summer pax capacity & more cabins etc

A very good point indeed, although I should stress that this compromise or trade off was simply my own speculation so I don't want it to grow legs and run around the forum as fact.

From the Packet:

"Isle of Man Steam Packet Company

Just a heads up: Manxman will be undertaking some manoeuvers in Douglas Bay tonight once it has discharged its passengers and freight from Heysham. It should be back alongside by approx. 20:00 hours."

Will they be checking out how fast they can go before the vessel vibrates itself to death? Or what?

It occurs that the night time crew have not had any duty hours recently with the "contingency schedule".

Edited by monasqueen
addition

1 minute ago, monasqueen said:

From the Packet:

Just a heads up: Manxman will be undertaking some manoeuvers in Douglas Bay tonight once it has discharged its passengers and freight from Heysham. It should be back alongside by approx. 20:00 hours."

Will they be checking out how fast they can go before the vessel vibrates itself to death? Or what?

Why don’t you ask them?

2 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

From the Packet:

I must have been extremely lucky because every time I've been aboard it's been quiet, as smooth as silk and arrived early.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Omobono said:

She does have a cavitation problem

Does she?

All props will cavitate under certain extreme conditions. Its not necessarily an issue. Maybe a different profile will be tried but I am not aware that an issue with the props has been officially conceded.