Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

36 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Returned to IoM on Mx yesterday afternoon.

Lots of judder and shaking on turning in Douglas Harbour.

I watched it maneuvering about the harbour a couple of weeks ago and you could hear the vibrations from the thrusters on the dock.  Surely this is something that just happens with a bigger boat, more powerful thrusters and a relatively shallow/enclosed harbour?  If you only have a few metres (or even feet) clearance under your draught, the turbulence is not really something that can be fixed.  It seems they've known about it in advance, due the extra armour that is going in at Liverpool and the upgrades to the berth in Douglas. 

• Like 1

I went to Heysham last week and came home on Sunday.

Some of the window blinds in the Niarbyl Lounge on deck 8 are broken already and were kept closed.  SPCo admitted last week that some of the ceiling tiles had fallen out during the storm/s.

The stabiliser system is way better than the Ben.  Sunday was force 6/7, touching 8, and hardly a bump.

I'm not sure that the vibration is any worse than the Ben - thrusters are always noisy.

I don't understand the showers in the loos arrangement.  Will they ever be used?  Plus, someone had chucked up in one on Sunday...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Surprisingly the new lounge has twice the capacity and much more space.

Its much more expensive than BF club voyage and has much less in the way of benefits. 

Im surprised. The Mx has much more in the way of lounges and seats, and cabins, for upselling.

Do you still get staff serving you drinks and/or food in the Exec lounge?.

That facility has been dropped in the other premium lounges. (Niarbyl hasn't had it on any vessel)

Edited by ellanvannin2010

24 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Interesting news about passenger numbers from last year - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-68128639.

Please take your positive news stories somewhere else!

That's a fairly big increase but is actually around 5% which isn't that massive a change. 

Although maybe some of the increase is due to the Flight shambles last year? 

28 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Do you still get staff serving you drinks and/or food in the Exec lounge?.

That facility has been dropped in the other premium lounges. (Niarbyl hasn't had it on any vessel)

The steward was there at the start to check membership. Asked if we required food or drink, then disappeared.

After that it’s help your self from the drinks fridge or the selection of sarnies, cheese and biscuits or choccie biscuits.

No different to the Ben latterly.

Is Niarbyl a premium lounge? Or just a reserved seating lounge?

The premium  lounges are all about upselling, as are the cabins. Think of it more as first, second, third and steerage.

The upstairs’ premium lounges on the fast craft seem better staffed. But they share a small galley where the staff can hang out and chat in Latvian, or whichever language pairing they share.

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Please take your positive news stories somewhere else!

That's a fairly big increase but is actually around 5% which isn't that massive a change. 

Although maybe some of the increase is due to the Flight shambles last year? 

Like you say, wasn't there essentially a month where flights were up the sh*tter?

5 minutes ago, woolley said:

I've never been on any vessel that doesn't shake like hell when using bow thrusters.

It’s a lot worse than either its predecessor or the e-flexer I was on as it arrived in Portsmouth at 8pm Sunday.

It was amplified by the divider screens in the Exec Lounge which rattled and shook loudly. Yes, it may be inadequate/inappropriate interior fitments and loose ceiling tiles that make it more apparent. 

• Like 1