Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

2 hours ago, Passing Time said:

She's going to put some knitwear around lamp posts as an act of rebellion...

And shortly afterwards be sadly disappointed when she finds out that her RTC minions have quickly removed it all on H&S grounds.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

And shortly afterwards be sadly disappointed when she finds out that her RTC minions have quickly removed it all on H&S grounds.

I would love to know where she got the figures from she quoted about the isle of man and global warming  on Mannin line last week ?  the girl is living a dream ! 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Omobono said:

I would love to know where she got the figures from she quoted about the isle of man and global warming  on Mannin line last week ?  the girl is living a dream ! 

she was sat on the source at time of quoting 

• Thanks 1

Finally got to sail on the manxman. I think it's fantastic. Despite force 7 sea is was pretty smooth and moored in Heysham lovely. Only 2 gripes;

1. Seemed to take forever to disembark despite only being half full.

2.I didnt see or hear any notices about not starting engines. I was surrounded by cars and Vans that started up as soon as passengers got to their vehicles. Swamped by diesel fumes. Now I cant stop coughing. Not good.  I am going to complain about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

that has been noticeable from the very start - maybe problems in tying up as compared with the Ben - ?too few staff for more ropes ? but as also slower at Douglas suspect a more technical problem - can take 10-15 min or more longer than the Ben would manage and now can become a significant part of the journey time.

There is usually an announcement when the car deck opens that drivers should wait to be told to start engines.

Edited by Frances

33 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Finally got to sail on the manxman. I think it's fantastic. Despite force 7 sea is was pretty smooth and moored in Heysham lovely. Only 2 gripes;

2.I didnt see or hear any notices about not starting engines. I was surrounded by cars and Vans that started up as soon as passengers got to their vehicles. Swamped by diesel fumes. Now I cant stop coughing. Not good.  I am going to complain about it.

11 minutes ago, Frances said:

that has been noticeable from the very start - maybe problems in tying up as compared with the Ben - ?too few staff for more ropes ? but as also slower at Douglas suspect a more technical problem - can take 10-15 min or more longer than the Ben would manage and now can become a significant part of the journey time.

There is usually an announcement when the car deck opens that drivers should wait to be told to start engines.

Last 2 crossings I was parked on deck 5. It’s open at the stern end. But at the bow end, where I was parked, by the red/green staircases/lift shafts, there are two large, powerful, fans to blow the fumes out. There was an announcement. There are also signs requesting drivers not to start their engines until requested to do so.

My most recent trip I was first off deck 5. There were still vehicles disembarking deck 3 and we zipper merged onto the linkspan.

That trip took 3 hours 15 minutes from cast off to tie up. I was home by 17.45.

I’m pretty sure that any tie up issues will disappear once all the work is done, to the berth.

As a comparison I was on Salamanca, ex Santander to Portsmouth, 24 hours before my most recent Mx sailing. 

Turning and tying up in Portsmouth took over 20 mins ( yes, bigger boat - but much more space ) and it was half an hour before I was disembarked ( the boat and berth are fitted with two level disembarkation ). Then 15 minutes to get through passport control.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

There was an announcement. There are also signs requesting drivers not to start their engines until requested to do so.

There may have been, i didnt see or hear them and if anyone else did...... they didnt take any notice. I always wait until the vehicle in front starts.  I'm still coughing. I have emailed them my feedback. 

The increased amount of time it takes to start a discharge is very noticeable.

Also, the time on passage does not appear to be improving much. Last night, for instance, the Steam Packet's Ferry Sailing Updates page told us that Manxman took from 02.15 to 06.57 to get from Heysham to Douglas. That's an hour longer than the suggested 3 and 3/4 hours "normal" crossing time. Why??

That leaves ropemen in Douglas hanging around for an extra hour, newspaper suppliers' workmen hanging around for an extra hour, shop shelf stackers, people coming out to meet and greet, taxi drivers, etc., etc.,

That's a lot of unproductive time, which somebody is having to pay for.