Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

1 hour ago, monasqueen said:

The increased amount of time it takes to start a discharge is very noticeable.

Also, the time on passage does not appear to be improving much. Last night, for instance, the Steam Packet's Ferry Sailing Updates page told us that Manxman took from 02.15 to 06.57 to get from Heysham to Douglas. That's an hour longer than the suggested 3 and 3/4 hours "normal" crossing time. Why??

That leaves ropemen in Douglas hanging around for an extra hour, newspaper suppliers' workmen hanging around for an extra hour, shop shelf stackers, people coming out to meet and greet, taxi drivers, etc., etc.,

That's a lot of unproductive time, which somebody is having to pay for.

Did she actually depart at 02:15? What was the state of tide in Heysham harbour at the scheduled time of 02:15?

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Did she actually depart at 02:15? What was the state of tide in Heysham harbour at the scheduled time of 02:15?

Marine Traffic tracking shows a departure at 02.15 UTC and arrival at 06.45

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

The SPCo's Sailing Update page does usually give the actual times of arrival and departure. Arrival time allows for getting onto the berth and tightening the ropes. The tracking time of 06.45 given by John Wright is probably when the ship first arrived at the pier. 

The tides in Heysham overnight last night/this morning were Low 00.38, High 06.34, so that should not have had any effect, other than, perhaps at the Douglas end, where there might have been a slight tidal pull into the harbour.

18 hours ago, John Wright said:

here was an announcement

It was just the old tired same old announcement that no one listens to. The one that says "Dont start you engines until instructed by a member of the crew" doesnt even make any sense. There was no crew to tell me to start my engine. I would still be there now.

Proof of the pudding - it doesnt work

Same with the signs. I honestly didn't see one. Same conclusion though. They are not working.

17 hours ago, Happier diner said:

There may have been, i didnt see or hear them and if anyone else did...... they didnt take any notice. I always wait until the vehicle in front starts.  I'm still coughing. I have emailed them my feedback. 

22 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It was just the old tired same old announcement that no one listens to. The one that says "Dont start you engines until instructed by a member of the crew" 

So did you hear the announcement or not?.

Recently used it.  

The message is quite clear and a couple of drivers where told to switch off engines until called forward.  It comes right after the bit about wet decks and tow balls.

The one that really pissed me off was the electric hybrid in front of me with the driver sitting with his foot on the brake and the high level brake light burning the back of my eyeballs out.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It was just the old tired same old announcement that no one listens to

It’s the same with the safety announcements on aircraft.

There are always crew on each car deck. But often they only start off the line in front of you. You follow the car ahead. 

On this occasion I was first off deck 5. Was definitely told to start and go.

17 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s the same with the safety announcements on aircraft

It's not quite the same as the air crew enforce things....like seatbelts. Whereas the SPCO tell you not to start your engines but a good number of people ignore it....including the staff who just walk past.

Diesel particulates are now an established causation factor in the development of respiratory disease and cancer. Even with newer vehicles. In fact there is a school of thought that the newer engines are worse as the particulates are finer, can't be smelled or seen and penetrate deep into our lungs.

Extractors help but they are only about 50% effective and even really powerful ones can only manage about 4 air changes per hour. 

They need to up their game and I have told them so.

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It's not quite the same as the air crew enforce things....like seatbelts. Whereas the SPCO tell you not to start your engines but a good number of people ignore it....including the staff who just walk past.

Diesel particulates are now an established causation factor in the development of respiratory disease and cancer. Even with newer vehicles. In fact there is a school of thought that the newer engines are worse as the particulates are finer, can't be smelled or seen and penetrate deep into our lungs.

Extractors help but they are only about 50% effective and even really powerful ones can only manage about 4 air changes per hour. 

They need to up their game and I have told them so.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/apr/13/death-of-diesel-wonder-fuel-new-asbestos

47 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It's not quite the same

It is, in that people talk through it, play stuff through their headphones or buds and ignore things like window blinds, tray tables, or the seatbelt signs.

It’s people being oblivious.

So did you hear it, or not?

as for the 4 huge wind machines at the front of deck 5, they’re very effective. Gale force output. I struggled to operate tailgate, get wheelchair out and stand vertical.

5 minutes ago, woolley said:

Not rocket science is it, FFS. There is no advantage to starting your engine before the vehicle in front of you moves. Never underestimate the stupidity of the public. Maybe even more signs and announcements.

It might be January, and minus 1, you might want to get your heater going.

13 minutes ago, John Wright said:

So did you hear it, or not

I reckon I heard it but I didnt listen. I am not disagreeing with you about that. The concept that you are struggling to grasp is that the announcement is not effective, clearly. Because no one takes notice. They need to freshen it up.

Like @woolleyrightly says, anyone with any common sense would not start their engine and idle for 15mins before disembarking. There are lots of people with no common sense. I sont think the announcement has any effect.

Even with big fans you will not really beat 5 air changes per hour. Even of you did there will still be exhaust fumes. Extraction is not plug flow so there will be low level areas where fumes will build up ( especially if heavier than air).

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It might be January, and minus 1, you might want to get your heater going.

No. That's all the bus vannin mini buses outside schools a morning. They are doing their bit for global warming by sitting in the bus with their engines running. Poisoning the kids is a side effect as is wasting fuel.