Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

This is actually what you said. 

you must have seen it to be able, now, to say it was small, and you must have heard it to know what the wording was.

Non compliance just evidences not heeding, not failure to hear or 

In health and safety you have a duty to get the message across. There is no small print excuse. In my opinion repeating a tired old message and placing a small sign not in direct line of view is not suitable and sufficient. Again, like I say, evidenced by the resultant non compliance.

In thr Ben there was a great big sign on the stairwell.  Not perfect but certainly better than what has been done here.

Are you going to explain where the opening is on this deck?

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

In health and safety you have a duty to get the message across. There is no small print excuse. In my opinion repeating a tired old message and placing a small sign not in direct line of view is not suitable and sufficient. Again, like I say, evidenced by the resultant non compliance.

In thr Ben there was a great big sign on the stairwell.  Not perfect but certainly better than what has been done here.

Are you going to explain where the opening is on this deck?

You’re avoiding.

1. I agree about the duty. Of course prominence also correlates to risk. Not sure what the risk is sitting in your closed car with windows closed.

2. there were also signs on the car deck. I don’t use the stairs so I wouldn’t know.

3. I specifically referred to my experience on deck 5. At that time you hadn’t mentioned that you were on deck 3.

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

. I specifically referred to my experience on deck 5. At that time you hadn’t mentioned that you were on deck 3.

How would I see the linkspan from deck 5?

Your powers of observation must be as bad as mine as the sign is at the side of the lift.

9 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Isnt the opening sealed from the lower deck?

The fans didnt start until the bow door/linkspan started opening. So if you are on deck 3 and engines running you are sitting in a sealed box inhaling fumes. 

they tell you quite clearly not to start your engine until instructed to do so 

There is a sign just by the lifts on the side wall. IMO it's a small sign. Small text. The dont start your engines until instructed (which is an incorrect message) is at the bottom, just above the skirting board.

The same message as before is on the announcement. The same incorrect message that no one hears and many dont heed.

Better on the return journey. There were fewer vehicles and I only spotted one car running. Fortunately it was a petrol. My wife had no breathing issues this time which is a relief.

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

WTF are you saying here. I have never been instructed to start my engine on a steam packet crossing. Never. 

No, and you aren’t told to stop your engine when you board. But you do. You use your common sense.

If you are first to go in any lane you are instructed to start and lead off. Those behind are expected to use common sense and follow suit.

I get that you are annoyed at the idiocy of those starting engines early and your perception that it’s health endangering. Just think that you’re over reacting and over stating.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No, and you aren’t told to stop your engine when you board. But you do. You use your common sense.

If you are first to go in any lane you are instructed to start and lead off. Those behind are expected to use common sense and follow suit.

I get that you are annoyed at the idiocy of those starting engines early and your perception that it’s health endangering. Just think that you’re over reacting and over stating.

Fair enough on the surface. But I'm not over reacting. My wife had an asthma attack half an hour after leaving that boat. She has a serious condition. Fortunately it was mild. It may have been nothing to do with the diesel fumes. 

I wouldn't be arguing if it wasn't for folks trying to convince me I am wrong about this.

It's not right what is happening WRT the SPCO not making more effort on this. 

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Fair enough on the surface. But I'm not over reacting. My wife had an asthma attack half an hour after leaving that boat. She has a serious condition. Fortunately it was mild. It may have been nothing to do with the diesel fumes. 

I wouldn't be arguing if it wasn't for folks trying to convince me I am wrong about this.

It's not right what is happening WRT the SPCO not making more effort on this. 

Surely you were both sat in the car, with your windows closed and ignition off, therefore fan off. So all she would be breathing was the air in the car. 

I was also on that trip. Great crossing. I wonder which one you were? 

19 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Surely you were both sat in the car, with your windows closed and ignition off, therefore fan off. So all she would be breathing was the air in the car. 

To some extent yes. But it was 20 minutes and cars are not sealed. 

It was the outward journey. 

33 minutes ago, Cambon said:

The journey back on Thursday afternoon was fine. She spent 3 days worrying about it. I am going to see if it's possible to go on deck 5 next time.