Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

55 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Surely you were both sat in the car, with your windows closed and ignition off, therefore fan off. So all she would be breathing was the air in the car. 

I was also on that trip. Great crossing. I wonder which one you were? 

He'd be the one arguing with his reflection...

21 hours ago, Happier diner said:

To some extent yes. But it was 20 minutes and cars are not sealed. 

It was the outward journey. 

As someone with a family member with COPD I will add this .....

The starting of cars on a closed deck on the IOMSPCO is totally unacceptable  FFS. It is 1960s pathetic H&S standards

If you non lung problem people, want a similar experience, get some duck tape, close your nose with it  and cover your mouth then pierce a pen hole sized hole in the duct tape to allow a small amount of room for breathing through your mouth, to the point where you are struggling for "air"

I have not been on the new boat but if it is as bad as HD says I wont be on it any time soon.

The islands air is bad enough when it is not windy, FSS - WTF is wrong with IOMSPCo

Last Time I was on the island I was at McDonalds on a calm weather day and very nearly vomited with the diesel fumes from knackerd vans and old SUVs in front of me 

I am far happier breathing Gods Own Country fresh air in the Yorkshire Dales.

Edited by Blade Runner

21 hours ago, Cambon said:

Surely you were both sat in the car, with your windows closed and ignition off, therefore fan off. So all she would be breathing was the air in the car. 

I was also on that trip. Great crossing. I wonder which one you were? 

That sounds a bit suicidal pact, which even if HD hates vans parking it is not a reason to top yourself.....

@Blade Runner @Albert Tatlock

Well it's a relief to hear that it's not just me that thinks this is not right.

At the risk of being accused by the ever arguementative John Wrong, I just want to add that the whole time we spent parked in the queue (the queue of the LHS heading down towards the bow end of the ship) just one crew member walked by. He either didn't notice the running vehicles or ignored them. Yes, I know, if I felt strongly I should have drawn attention to them. I will in future. It's hard to hear running engines down there because it's so noisy. But the tell tale signs are daytime running lights coming on and then look at the rev counter. 

I became aware because I could smell diesel fumes.

Yes, it was a perfect storm. It was freezing cold down there and people were probably feeling the chill more because goodness knows what they were fannying about for so long. We were sat there for what seemed an eternity. Maybe they lost their ropes. But I reckon people wanted their heated seats and some warmth. 

Edited by Happier diner

On 2/11/2024 at 5:39 PM, Blade Runner said:

The islands air is bad enough when it is not windy, 

Last Time I was on the island I was at McDonalds on a calm weather day and very nearly vomited with the diesel fumes from knackerd vans and old SUVs in front of me 

I am far happier breathing Gods Own Country fresh air in the Yorkshire Dales.

Of course the air all over the Island is comparable with what you breathe whilst sitting in a queue of idling vehicles on a still day in a river valley by the busiest road we have! Even then, if you are waiting at McDonalds you probably deserve all you get.

The air quality in the Isle of Man is at least on a par with the best anywhere in England. There aren't enough of us, and next to no industry to cause major atmospheric pollution. Our prevailing wind comes straight from the wide open Atlantic, and even our government has not yet found a way to ruin it. In the Yorkshire Dales you are getting it secondhand after Liverpool, Manchester and the West Riding has done with it.

You're a nutter.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Well, I'm now on my third return trip since last October and have resisted posting my experiences until now. 

My conclusion is quite simple… There's nowt wrong with the vessel and here’s why…. I think by now the Masters have got used to the way the Manxman handles and are gaining in confidence with every voyage, particularly manoeuvring in the harbours. Case in point was last Sunday’s 08:45 departure and the subsequent entering of Heysham. The Master had her about-turn and approaching the ramp stern first within about 7/8 mins of entering the harbour. Yes there was vibration but you would expect that from the thrusters, the same happened on the BMC. I reckon I drove off the ramp within 20 mins max of entering the harbour, which was about the same as the BMC.

The more voyages the Masters & crew have under their belt the slicker the whole process will be.

• Like 9

12 hours ago, woolley said:

Of course the air all over the Island is comparable with what you breathe whilst sitting in a queue of idling vehicles on a still day in a river valley by the busiest road we have! Even then, if you are waiting at McDonalds you probably deserve all you get.

The air quality in the Isle of Man is at least on a par with the best anywhere in England. There aren't enough of us, and next to no industry to cause major atmospheric pollution. Our prevailing wind comes straight from the wide open Atlantic, and even our government has not yet found a way to ruin it. In the Yorkshire Dales you are getting it secondhand after Liverpool, Manchester and the West Riding has done with it.

You're a nutter.

I am not a nutter! I have a government issued document to prove that I will have you know.

DO YOU? 🙂 

Anyway I stand by my statement.

The air in Douglas is SH1t. You don't have smokeless zones for one and you also have a underworked incinerator on the outskirts.

You also have a gas burning power station in that valley and all the cars and vans on the island going through it everyday with NO ANNUAL CHECKS ON THEIR EMISSIONS.

The air on the island is fine when the wind blows hard but when it does not it is worse than central London.

I am fine in the Dales as all the heavy bad PM2.5 Particles have fallen all over Liverpool/ Manchester before they get to me.

Please take this as it is meant, the island has really BAD AIR quality when the wind don't blow.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

I am not a nutter! I have a government issued document to prove that I will have you know.

DO YOU? 🙂 

Anyway I stand by my statement.

The air in Douglas is SH1t. You don't have smokeless zones for one and you also have a underworked incinerator on the outskirts.

You also have a gas burning power station in that valley and all the cars and vans on the island going through it everyday with NO ANNUAL CHECKS ON THEIR EMISSIONS.

The air on the island is fine when the wind blows hard but when it does not it is worse than central London.

I am fine in the Dales as all the heavy bad PM2.5 Particles have fallen all over Liverpool/ Manchester before they get to me.

Please take this as it is meant, the island has really BAD AIR quality when the wind don't blow.

You don’t half talk some shit! The air quality where you live in some inner city is awful, doubt you’ve ever been to IOM, strange how all these UK based idiots like to give advice on local matters

• Like 3

Over all I think we can agree be it IOM or Yorkshire (or even humble Morecambe) air quality is better than citys like Manchester, Birmingham and London (not counting the Tube which if you looked at the source of 'dust' would gross you out) where you can taste and see it.

T

• Like 1

Just now, Banker said:

You don’t half talk some shit! The air quality where you live in some inner city is awful, doubt you’ve ever been to IOM, strange how all these UK based idiots like to give advice on local matters

What are you basing your analysis on Banker ?

As you seem to think I live in Essex, I discount you as someone with no comprehension of what they read. So despite my multiple posts saying I live in the Dales I would say that makes you a bit of a fuciwit, anyway ..................

THE ISLANDS AIR QUALITY WHEN THE WIND IS NOT STRONG IS CRAP.

Prove me wrong, PLEASE based on samples by independent NGOs

As I have already stated, I know the results from the very late 90s of an independent survey of air at that location that was buried because the results did not sit well with the politicos at that time.

PLEASE BANKER- SHOW ME SOME VERY RECENT AIR QUALITY SAMPLES FROM PEEL ROAD IN DOUGLAS ON A LOW WIND DAY.

Please Banker, if you can show me some good PM 2.5 results in Douglas, on a low wind day, I will donate £500.00 to a  children's charity of your choice on the Rock.

PM me details please of your charity and air test results.

• Haha 1