Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

4 hours ago, Ray Manx said:

What speed restriction does the Ben have and why? 

Because it does not comply with Marpol  (marine pollution) regulations  regarding emissions  its fuel type and speed are severely restricted  to curtail  PM10's and particulates from its engines  burning heavy marine diesel  thus causing pollution  and harmful emissions ,

20 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Because it does not comply with Marpol  (marine pollution) regulations  regarding emissions  its fuel type and speed are severely restricted  to curtail  PM10's and particulates from its engines  burning heavy marine diesel  thus causing pollution  and harmful emissions ,

Can someone quote these regulations from source. Seems dodgy to me ? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, x-in-man said:

It won't have food and drink onboard.  It will have engineering crew only.  It takes time to stock up and swap general crew about and set up tills, the bars, food areas, toilets, cabins, check pubic areas etc.  This would probably done and the boat ready after what ever was wrong with the other boat was sorted.  

It does not explain why the Ben cannot be used to catch up on delayed freight and general cargo shipping though.  Bringing in vital supplies and things that keep people in employment and income.

They've never done that to me whenever I get the boat

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

So you are saying that those restrictions have kicked in since the last time the Ben My Chree was in service? 🤣

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

Dippy Daphne will be very keen on enforcing this sort of thing 🤭

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve_Christian said:

Can someone quote these regulations from source. Seems dodgy to me ? 

Not sure if that link worked.  But John's explanation ties in with the question from Chris Thomas in Tynwald a few weeks ago.  Allanson used a lot of words but failed to answer and asked for Chris Thomas to ask him privately.  Obviously didn't want the information on hansard.

Working link:

https://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51445-steam-packet-warns-of-disruption-to-sailings/&do=findComment&comment=1773271

Edited by cissolt
The last link didn't work
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

And yet the Steam trains are ok apparently….yeah right. 

the MARPOL convention does not apply to Isle of Man railways  its an international convention  for the prevention of marine polution  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Omobono said:

the MARPOL convention does not apply to Isle of Man railways  its an international convention  for the prevention of marine polution  

It might...when the diesel cabbage becomes the artificial reef it deserves to be.

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I guess the mar bit gives it away.

What is interesting is the marpol fuel surcharge of £5 per meter. If we are paying a surcharge why hasn't it been used to comply with the regulations?

Screenshot_2024-02-20-23-28-51-67_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.thumb.jpg.61fcb612876196f33cfb66dd2afbcbf7.jpg