Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

Yeah sell it to the western isles up in Scotland, where they will ignore Marpol. Soon see it chugging around at 17 knots. The slower you run this type of engine the cooler it is and more polluting.  Still skimming marpol can not see relevant rules to type fuel, only the same as chip fat do not fuck it overboard. Along with various other items, gash as it used to be called.⁷

17 hours ago, Ray Manx said:

So you are saying that those restrictions have kicked in since the last time the Ben My Chree was in service? 🤣

No. It had a certificate with exemptions. That certificate seems to have expired. I’m sure it could be renewed. I think the regular dry docking programme has been messed up with Mx not coming fully on line until late 2023, then the anchor issue.

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

That is an interesting question - so far, unanswered.

See above

2 hours ago, x-in-man said:

..  and dirtier heavier and older boats use the Irish Sea daily.   Still sounds like bollocks to me.

They may have had scrubbers fitted or be running on lighter oil fraction, or have a temporary exemption until they sort it out.

43 minutes ago, forestboy said:

So will the Ben ever be allowed to sail again?

Yes, but at a cost.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Yeah sell it to the western isles up in Scotland, where they will ignore Marpol. Soon see it chugging around at 17 knots. The slower you run this type of engine the cooler it is and more polluting.  Still skimming marpol can not see relevant rules to type fuel, only the same as chip fat do not fuck it overboard. Along with various other items, gash as it used to be called.⁷

It’s about sulphur, nitrox and particulates and is in Annex VI

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 3:17 PM, John Wright said:

t had a certificate with exemptions. That certificate seems to have expired. I’m sure it could be renewed.

So I jump to the conclusion that the Steam Packet allowed the certificate to expire so that they could claim that it has a maximum speed of 7 knots so that..... the gov. has no option but to give them what they want.

• Like 1

I suspect there's a number of reasons why the BMC and possibly the Arrow are going nowhere at the moment.

I think part of the delayed certification issue is probably more to do with waiting for the outcome of negotiations with the union. If I'm not mistaken IOMSPCo will have to increase the accommodation space for crew if they run with the 1 week or 2 week on/off rotation. And as the IOMG Sea Services Agreement insists that the BMC should be used as backup then the BMC will have to go into dock to get the living arrangements built and whilst there spend some money on getting her Annex VI compliant. So there's no point in her going anywhere, anytime soon.

The sea services agreement seems not to be fit for purpose with the way current operations are panning out at the moment.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I suspect there's a number of reasons why the BMC and possibly the Arrow are going nowhere at the moment.

I think part of the delayed certification issue is probably more to do with waiting for the outcome of negotiations with the union. If I'm not mistaken IOMSPCo will have to increase the accommodation space for crew if they run with the 1 week or 2 week on/off rotation. And as the IOMG Sea Services Agreement insists that the BMC should be used as backup then the BMC will have to go into dock to get the living arrangements built and whilst there spend some money on getting her Annex VI compliant. So there's no point in her going anywhere, anytime soon.

The sea services agreement seems not to be fit for purpose with the way current operations are panning out at the moment.

Why would a back up vessel, used sparingly, and perhaps at TT, need live on board?

Not sure when they had the last full survey or full dry docking for survey and certification.

16 hours ago, John Wright said:

Why would a back up vessel, used sparingly, and perhaps at TT, need live on board?

Not sure when they had the last full survey or full dry docking for survey and certification.

BMC had a quick dry docking prior to last TT.  she is due for the two yearly big one any time now.

she has live aboard, just give the crew the cabins.  She would be better used on Liverpool and the Irish, costs a lot less than the fast craft, and that is life expired.  

Condor now have spare tonnage with the Goodwill clipper and islander able to carry freight, the goodwill being freight only.  So they now have spare capacity. So now work for the Arrow. 

I don’t think the Ben will fit any of calmacs routes as the harbours in the western isles are shallow. 

Edited by Manxman2000
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

..and any update on the 'technical issue' that cancelled the Manxman the other day?  Anything to do with the fancy new software system or something more political?

They haven't said anything yet.  My sailing was cancelled and I traveled on the following 02:15 sailing, the website said there was no car capacity, but I called and got booked on.

There were only 10 cars and some freight.  Probably less than 40% vehicle capacity 

2 minutes ago, cissolt said:

They haven't said anything yet.  My sailing was cancelled and I traveled on the following 02:15 sailing, the website said there was no car capacity, but I called and got booked on.

There were only 10 cars and some freight.  Probably less than 40% vehicle capacity 

Wouldn't surprise me it they were consolidating sailings due to low load factors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, x-in-man said:

Where does The Arrow fit in to these speed limits and emission regulations then?  Built about the same time, being bought for a few million in 2022.  

Don’t know anything about the Arrow, but it’s freight only and was chartered to Condor a lot. Not needed now.  
Commodore Clipper 1999 had her scrubbers fitted about four years ago.  Commodore Goodwill 1995 had hers about two years ago. I think Condor Islander 2005 was done during the refit in France.  CalMac engines are  more or less all Merlees Blackstone units in the older ferries so possibly can’t be fitted with scrubbers and will run on MGO so will be exempt.  

Edited by Manxman2000