Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

41 minutes ago, finlo said:

Wouldn't surprise me it they were consolidating sailings due to low load factors.

Don’t think they have done that in the past.  
The last figures I heard 10 years ago so not relative now are Ben to Heysham return. £5000 in fuel.  Manannan.  £15000 in MGO (diesel). So go slow and save a fortune.  

Edited by Manxman2000
  • Like 1

I heard we import something like 96% of our food, obviously by boat.

Maybe the money spent on securing local food security for only 1/25th of our needs would be better directed at securing the other 24/25ths. i.e. the next boat we buy 'at arms length' should be able to make it into both Douglas and Heysham come hell or high water, wind or silt 96% of the time.

It'd be nice to know if there is a contigency plan for an alternative to move container trailers via other ports if one or the other were put out of action for some reason. Hopefully better than the pandemic plans we had.

1 hour ago, CallMeCurious said:

It'd be nice to know if there is a contingency plan for an alternative to move container trailers via other ports if one or the other were put out of action for some reason. Hopefully better than the pandemic plans we had.

Holyhead.

6 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

I heard we import something like 96% of our food, obviously by boat.

Can't possibly be true, Gawnie told us we'd starve....

• Haha 1

On Monday Manx Radio published the contents of a rather strange 'statement' that the Steam Packet had sent them, justifying why the Ben was simultaneously on standby to replace the Manxman but never actually used to do so.  There are some sensible points which have already been made, such as the need to stock up perishables, though I would think six hours would be more than enough to move crew and stock already on the other boat.  But some of the other stuff doesn't really make much sense.  You get the feeling there's something they're refusing to admit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

On Monday Manx Radio published the contents of a rather strange 'statement' that the Steam Packet had sent them, justifying why the Ben was simultaneously on standby to replace the Manxman but never actually used to do so.  There are some sensible points which have already been made, such as the need to stock up perishables, though I would think six hours would be more than enough to move crew and stock already on the other boat.  But some of the other stuff doesn't really make much sense.  You get the feeling there's something they're refusing to admit.

Maybe the perishables aren't bought on the island but the UK so they have to wait for the Arrow to deliver. Or a quick dash to Tesco?

They are refusing to admit 3 existing harbours weren't surveyed prior to ordering the boat and now they are desperately trying to find excuses other than "we bought a lemon" at great expense. Luckily the taxpayer has picked up the tab on Liverpool and Edward Pier and it's now a question of when and how much it'll take to get Heysham fixed to accomodate the super duper bespoke boat.

Maybe they should rename the ship to the Manxgov as it frequently fails at the basics and the costs keep increasing for the taxpayer.

No wonder they wanted it at 'arms length' because it's starting to smell really fishy.

• Like 1

Interesting piece on countryside Manx radio last night featuring Norman (Sherbi) leece ex managing director of mezeron also spent time at the steamie  I believe, a more than capable experienced skipper in his day highlighting the fact that the iom steampacket boats can sail in any weather just the harbours aren’t suitable for size of vessels now. A full program featuring him would make interesting listening following his career at sea.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Makes sense to me. If it's on 6 hour notice they can't plan maintenance that would take longer than 4 hrs to complete basically, so either they have to plan everything in smaller shifts or save it for when it's completely out of standby and for dry dock.

I would say you and @John Wright will need to move your discussions to the conspiracy thread at this rate, Steam Packet & Gov have said Ben is fit for service and can be used at 12 hour notice in repeated written statements. I doubt they have enough crews to be doing much with it out of service hence it sitting in the harbour, but there's been nothing about any 10 knots limit or otherwise that John definitively stated earlier in the thread.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Makes sense to me. If it's on 6 hour notice they can't plan maintenance that would take longer than 4 hrs to complete basically, so either they have to plan everything in smaller shifts or save it for when it's completely out of standby and for dry dock.

I would say you and @John Wright will need to move your discussions to the conspiracy thread at this rate, Steam Packet & Gov have said Ben is fit for service and can be used at 12 hour notice in repeated written statements. I doubt they have enough crews to be doing much with it out of service hence it sitting in the harbour, but there's been nothing about any 10 knots limit or otherwise that John definitively stated earlier in the thread.

Just how much maintenance is it undergoing?

If you were to believe the statement they put out it must be being rebuilt from the keel up!