Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

4 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Maybe the perishables aren't bought on the island but the UK so they have to wait for the Arrow to deliver. Or a quick dash to Tesco?

the Douglas-Liverpool journey of Manannan is restocked by Robinsons - the amount required is determined during the voyage back to Douglas - hence the delay in off loading foot passengers as the staff coming on duty act as porters emptying the stuff from the Robinsons delivery vans; even the newspapers carried over of the night boat from Liverpool have to be delivered to the wholesalers before the small portion required on the morning boat comes back from the wholesalers.

In years gone by, in the days of the Manx Maid and Ben my Chree one of which would be on the Liverpool landing stage until at least 0100 one of the galley crew would use the Steam Packets van and go to Liverpool Fruit and Veg market on Edge Lane to select and load the fresh food for the day. This was taken back to the boat.  The next boat in to Liverpool had the frozen goods delivered to the forward cold store via the front opening doors, only used in Liverpool. Once in Douglas the collected goods had to be split for the next boat out.  That would be early 70’s. 

Edited by Manxman2000

I have heard that at night the blinds in the passenger area at the front of the boat have to be closed at night because otherwise the light from those windows shining upwards affects the view of the driver in the bridge up above.

1744-aa1321bbf75.jpg.f8fcb5a6946446474e19435b9a6e6d71.jpg

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I have heard that at night the blinds in the passenger area at the front of the boat have to be closed at night because otherwise the light from those windows shining upwards affects the view of the driver in the bridge up above.

At the risk of sounding blasé, what's the issue - not going to be seeing much out of the windows at night are you? Do the captains use night vision or similar?

7 hours ago, Two-lane said:

6 hours ago, Mercenary said:

At the risk of sounding blasé, what's the issue - not going to be seeing much out of the windows at night are you? Do the captains use night vision or similar?

It’s standard, and required under some maritime regulation. so that the crew on other vessels aren’t distracted, and the port and starboard navigation lights aren’t overwhelmed and rendered invisible.

The blinds in the Executive and Premium Lounge on the Ben have been closed at night, for the exact same reason, for the last 25 years without comment or speculation.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

It’s standard, and required under some maritime regulation. so that the crew on other vessels aren’t distracted, and the port and starboard navigation lights aren’t overwhelmed and rendered invisible.

The blinds in the Executive and Premium Lounge on the Ben have been closed at night, for the exact same reason, for the last 25 years without comment or speculation.

have you never heard of cabin lights dimmed for landing ? its standard practice !

44 minutes ago, Omobono said:

have you never heard of cabin lights dimmed for landing ? its standard practice !

Strangely I’ve never been on board the Ben or Manxman when they’ve either taken off or landed. And we are talking about closure at sea en voyage, not entering harbour.

The lights on the side windows of the Ben/Manxman don’t have the blinds lowered at night.

Aircraft passenger windows tend to be on the side.

They're both for safety reasons, but different ones.

With the planes it’s to allow your eyes to acclimatise in case of emergency so you can see the floor level emergency lighting and can see better if you have to evacuate in emergency.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John Wright said:

With the planes it’s to allow your eyes to acclimatise in case of emergency so you can see the floor level emergency lighting and can see better if you have to evacuate in emergency

It was once explained to me that it is also so you can check if there is danger outside if you having to evacuate (be able to see outside in the darkness). I visualised sharks but I think its more realistically fire or water. 

29 minutes ago, John Wright said:

see better if you have to evacuate in emergency.

Isn’t this the same?

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It was once explained to me that it is also so you can check if there is danger outside if you having to evacuate (be able to see outside in the darkness). I visualised sharks but I think its more realistically fire or water. 

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Isn’t this the same?

And you say its me that is argumentative😁

You didn't say its so you can see outside better. Same reason as you don't have you internal lights on when driving in the dark.

Last time I checked this was a discussion forum....you know where you are allowed to discuss things.

On 2/29/2024 at 10:03 PM, Two-lane said:

I can see the logic in this but not seen it yet my self. 

Would love to see the view on the screens though if the blinds are closed which I believe you can in the cabins? 

T

On 2/29/2024 at 10:50 PM, Mercenary said:

At the risk of sounding blasé, what's the issue - not going to be seeing much out of the windows at night are you?

So someone is pretty enthusiastic about a trip on the new boat. They have booked a front row seat. It will be dark when they arrive in the great megalopolis of Liverpool, but they imagine cruising down the river, the lights of Liverpool's entertainment area are lighting up the sky. Coloured lasers flicker amongst the skyscrapers. The coloured street lights make Douglas promenade look like Bride on a winter's night. The illuminated fountain at Caesers Palace is a sight to behold.

And this is what the get:

OIP.jpeg.26160f3b743f9c66d198b09ca81065bd.jpeg

I'd ask for a refund.

8 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

So someone is pretty enthusiastic about a trip on the new boat. They have booked a front row seat. It will be dark when they arrive in the great megalopolis of Liverpool, but they imagine cruising down the river, the lights of Liverpool's entertainment area are lighting up the sky. Coloured lasers flicker amongst the skyscrapers. The coloured street lights make Douglas promenade look like Bride on a winter's night. The illuminated fountain at Caesers Palace is a sight to behold.

And this is what the get:

OIP.jpeg.26160f3b743f9c66d198b09ca81065bd.jpeg

I'd ask for a refund.

I know you’re poking fun, but when do either Mx or Mn arrive in Liverpool in hours of darkness on the current timetable?

Has all the restrictions regarding Manxman been lifted now? It is windy as hell blowing a hoolie and Manxman has just left for Haysham 🤔