Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

Curious thing on the boat. The toilets. On entering off the port side corridor, forward on deck 8, there is a lockable door. So I can walk in there and lock myself in alone with the various toilets, urinal, wash basins and showers, and in so doing, I lock everyone else out. What is the point of that? Is it some old Korean custom?

And I've never yet seen anyone having a shower in there. Not that I expected to!

Just now, woolley said:

Curious thing on the boat. The toilets. On entering off the port side corridor, forward on deck 8, there is a lockable door. So I can walk in there and lock myself in alone with the various toilets, urinal, wash basins and showers, and in so doing, I lock everyone else out. What is the point of that? Is it some old Korean custom?

And I've never yet seen anyone having a shower in there. Not that I expected to!

Maybe its for the crew when they are living on board?.... that went awfully quiet didn't it.

Regarding the Ben and its ability to sail (or not) there was an interesting exchange mainly between Thomas and Allinson yesterday in Keys.  It was briefly and rather confusingly mentioned in IOM Newspaper's roundup of Questions, but is probably best listed to in full:

https://www.tynwald.org.im/playaudio?file=/business/listen/AgainFiles/O-202401-1231a.mp3

(it's about 17 minutes).  There is an effective speed restriction and Allinson did his damnedest not to convert this into an actual mph or indicate a resultant sailing time.

41 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Regarding the Ben and its ability to sail (or not) there was an interesting exchange mainly between Thomas and Allinson yesterday in Keys.  It was briefly and rather confusingly mentioned in IOM Newspaper's roundup of Questions, but is probably best listed to in full:

https://www.tynwald.org.im/playaudio?file=/business/listen/AgainFiles/O-202401-1231a.mp3

(it's about 17 minutes).  There is an effective speed restriction and Allinson did his damnedest not to convert this into an actual mph or indicate a resultant sailing time.

Not listened to this, but according to MR 14-15 knots rather than 18 and negligible difference in crossing time. (Despite being 20% slower.)

49 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

This backs up what I was told last year and posted. 

My shipboard informants still say it’s an effective operating speed of 7kts.

Allinson was carefull to say that maximum, not operating, speed was limited to 14-15 kts. But that’s short bursts and not operational. Tide and wind/weather will slow her down, and if she can’t use more than 48% rated power output… 

I believe her rated max speed is 21kts but operationally only 17-18. So, if max is 14-15 you’re looking, on current admissions, at 10-11 operationally.

The one thing you’ve got to ask is why haven’t they been honest about this since November last year. 5 months of skulking and keeping quiet. So much for myth busting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

This backs up what I was told last year and posted. 

My shipboard informants still say it’s an effective operating speed of 7kts.

Allinson was carefull to say that maximum, not operating, speed was limited to 14-15 kts. But that’s short bursts and not operational. Tide and wind/weather will slow her down, and if she can’t use more than 48% rated power output… 

The one thing you’ve got to ask is why haven’t they been honest about this since November last year. 5 months of skulking and keeping quiet. So much for myth busting.

It's clear that people have been talking to Chris Thomas as well (you'd expect Douglas Central to have a lot of SP workers) and Allinson was left saying that it was impossible to quote sailing times because of other variables.  Which makes you wonder just how the Steam Packet manage to produce a timetable.  It's clear he completely misled them when he answered questions last month, presumably because he'd been fed a load of old bullshit by the SP management.  That doesn't seem to have changed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2024 at 1:39 PM, woolley said:

I know you said "it is my understanding", which can mean anything, but is this inside information or just a flying leap in the dark by putting regulations and hearsay together? Because to me it doesn't make any sense whatsoever to keep the Ben fully crewed, as she is, and putting out statements that she is the standby vessel ready to take over at 12 hours notice, as was done in Keys by Allinson as recently as this Tuesday if it isn't true.

Why would they do that? There is no upside in maintaining such a fallacy, and a huge amount of downside if Manxman goes tech and Ben cannot step up. Egg on face all round. It seems too Machiavellian even for here. Surely, they'd just come out and tell it like it is. They don't make rules of the sea.

I don't know the intricacies of those maritime regulations, but perhaps there is something around the grandfather rights that means if she is once again our de facto lifeline (in the absence of Manxman) then she can sail.

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/future-plans-for-the-isle-of-man-steam-packets-ben-my-chree-confirmed-during-meeting-666262

We seem to be edging slowly to the truth about the speed restricted, polluting, Ben. Disclosure still has some way to go.

• Like 4